Use of two SIM cards

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Hi. I've been trying to get access to the apps within the PCM.

Here is my set up.
My Samsung phone connects to the car via blue tooth. Phone, contacts and Google maps all work with no issues. However, when I press apps, I'm told my phone needs to link with the pcm.

It seems that the apps section will only operate with a permanent data connection, so the moment my phone is removed from the car there is no way to look for the WiFi hotspot of the car to connect to it.

Question.
I put a spare handset SIM into the slot in the car and told Porsche connect to use this SIM. Does this mean I can then connect my Samsung handset via blue tooth for the phone and contact sync? Effectively giving the Macan a dedicated data only sim for the apps and WiFi hotspot, the rest of the corrections via my Samsung handset.

Hope that all makes sense?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am not aware that Android Auto is available in a Macan as yet, no doubt if I am in error someone will correct me.

I have a data only SIM in the slit under the flap, a cheap 3M preloaded card valid for 12m.

If I want to use the inbuilt Apple Car Play then I simply plug my iPhone into the USB socket in the centre armrest.

The data SIM is used to stream audio, access the web and to use Google earth.

I use Apple Maps as a second SatNav
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:06 pm I am not aware that Android Auto is available in a Macan as yet, no doubt if I am in error someone will correct me.

I have a data only SIM in the slit under the flap, a cheap 3M preloaded card valid for 12m.

If I want to use the inbuilt Apple Car Play then I simply plug my iPhone into the USB socket in the centre armrest.

The data SIM is used to stream audio, access the web and to use Google earth.

I use Apple Maps as a second SatNav
Sorry, I'm not using android auto or Apple car play. I'm simply using a USB stick for my music, the phone for telephone calls via blue tooth and I'm trying to work out of I put a data only sim into the car itself would the car use this for Google maps, WiFi hot spot and the apps.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
jk88

Post by jk88 »

uktivo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pmQuestion.
I put a spare handset SIM into the slot in the car and told Porsche connect to use this SIM. Does this mean I can then connect my Samsung handset via blue tooth for the phone and contact sync? Effectively giving the Macan a dedicated data only sim for the apps and WiFi hotspot, the rest of the corrections via my Samsung handset.

Yes you can - this is the set-up I use, albeit with an iPhone. I generally don't use Car Play simply because I can't be bothered fishing my phone out of my pocket each time I get in the car and the Porsche sat nav with RTT and Google search works really well IMO.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

jk88 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:19 am
uktivo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pmQuestion.

Yes you can - this is the set-up I use, albeit with an iPhone. I generally don't use Car Play simply because I can't be bothered fishing my phone out of my pocket each time I get in the car and the Porsche sat nav with RTT and Google search works really well IMO.

Thanks. This is the info I needed..
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Update.

I purchased a 5gb PAYG data sim today to have a play with this issue.

My conditions.
I want to connect my phone via blue tooth to allow phone calls, contacts sync and music.
I then wanted to insert a SIM into the cars SIM slot to provide a data connection to allow Google maps, live traffic and use of the PCM apps.

Result.
From my tests today with the above set up, I'm unable to have Google maps and live traffic updates.
I've attached some photos I've taken.

Photo showing the connections I have chosen.

Photo showing no Google maps or live traffic option when the above connections are chosen.

Photo showing Google maps and live traffic option no present, this is only available if I remove the inserted SIM and use my mobile phone to supply the data.

Photo showing the version of software installed on my car

Photo showing the limited choice of apps I see when I use my phone to supply the data. Shouldn't I be seeing more than these?

I have to say, the PCM does seem ove overly complicated to set up.

Questions.
1. Should the inserted SIM in the slot provide data for Google maps and live traffic?
2. Should there be more APP choice showing? I thought I'd be able to send routes to my car ahead of me getting into it? My app on my phone is extremely basic. Am I missing something?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I don’t see any pics.

I do exactly what you want to do, SIM in the car to do Google maps etc and connect iPhone to car for calls via Bluetooth. Works well.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Swipe the PCM screen from far right horizontally left to see a hidden menu.

What you seek should be there, they default off.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm I don’t see any pics.

I do exactly what you want to do, SIM in the car to do Google maps etc and connect iPhone to car for calls via Bluetooth. Works well.
Photos

using mobile phone for data.jpg

using data on built in sim.jpg

connections.jpg

20180203_123436-2016x1134.jpg

20180203_123349-2016x1134.jpg

My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Do you know that your data sim is connecting ok? If you connect your phone to the car Wi-fi hotspot, can you browse the Internet?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8