WiFi connection question

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
964steve

Post by 964steve »

I may be being a bit stupid and after 6 months decided to connect the pcm app to the car mainly so I can transfer navigation destinations. There seem to be some obvious problems through rendering this useless.
First when connected through WiFi I can't connect as a phone too on Bluetooth for phone services. So there is no hands free.
Secondly when connected by WiFi I can't use the Internet on my phone (when passenger) as it tries to use the cars connection which is just the basic data services.
So it seems to me that if all I want to do is transfer POIs then I am better just using the connect portal and connecting my phone with Bluetooth.
Am I missing something or have I got this right?

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I’m surprised none of the gen kiddies have replied to you on this one. I’m not going to be much help either as I don’t have Connect + on my Macan. From the reading I’ve been doing in preparation for taking delivery of my 911 I would guess you’re about right in connecting via Bluetooth to transfer POIs.

Let’s hope this prompts someone better placed to respond. :)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
jk88

Post by jk88 »

964steve wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 pm I may be being a bit stupid and after 6 months decided to connect the pcm app to the car mainly so I can transfer navigation destinations. There seem to be some obvious problems through rendering this useless.
First when connected through WiFi I can't connect as a phone too on Bluetooth for phone services. So there is no hands free.
Secondly when connected by WiFi I can't use the Internet on my phone (when passenger) as it tries to use the cars connection which is just the basic data services.
So it seems to me that if all I want to do is transfer POIs then I am better just using the connect portal and connecting my phone with Bluetooth.
Am I missing something or have I got this right?

I agree the whole setup is incredibly unintuitive, however I have it all set up fine, using the phone hands free via bluetooth and being able to access pre-loaded POIs from the Connect app on the phone when connected on the wi-fi. All connections are automatic when I start the car and it works fine every time.

You don't mention whether you are using IOS or Android, mine is IOS but I'd have thought it would be the same either way. I also a have a data sim in the slot which then provides the data service for the phone when it's connected on the wi-fi, so if you want to use the internet on your phone at the same time, you would probably need a data sim (or let the passenger use their own phone).

The only other thing is to check if you have the latest OS for your phone and software version for the PCM. Otherwise it's a trip back to the OPC to get them to set it up for you and check everything working as it should.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
SGDT

Post by SGDT »

You shouldn't have a problem with Bluetooth and WiFi being connected at the same time. That's how it's supposed to work. (This is assuming you're not connecting via Apple CarPlay).

I've found the easiest way to transfer navigation destinations is using Google Maps and Send to Car.
The main advantages are:
1. Easy to use Google Maps and
2. No need to connect to the app.

For this to work the PCM in the car needs to be paired with the Portal and Google Maps Send to Car enabled.

Search for a location using Google Maps and select Send to Phone > Send to Car. A message will appear at the bottom of the screen "location sent" or something similar.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.07.29.png

In your car Select Nav > Fav > Portal Personal POIs (no need for phone to be in car) Sorry for blurry photo - eyes must be going :shock:

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.12.23.png

Your destination will appear in your list of Portal Personal POIs. Tap the flag to the right to start navigation. Sometimes you may need to select your connection or hit the refresh button but overall works very well.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.16.21.png

PJDKEP61
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have a 3 SIM in the car £25 for 12 Gb valid for one year.

That gives me the online access for easy in car updates.

Destination, favourites etc are best done on iPhone in the house then transferred into the car as per SGDT’s advice.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jk88

Post by jk88 »

SGDT wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm
For this to work the PCM in the car needs to be paired with the Portal and Google Maps Send to Car enabled.

Search for a location using Google Maps and select Send to Phone > Send to Car. A message will appear at the bottom of the screen "location sent" or something similar.

How do you enable 'send to car' on Google maps? When I click on 'send directions to your phone', it doesn't give me an option to send to car.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
SGDT

Post by SGDT »

See steps below on how to add your car to Google maps.

Go to google.com/maps/sendtocar.
In the top right, click Sign in and enter your account information.
Click Add car or GPS device.
Choose your car manufacturer and type in your account ID. To find your ID, sign in to your car manufacturer’s website.
Optional: To find your car easily in the future, add a name for your car.
Click OK. To add another car, click Add another car or GPS device.
PJDKEP61
964steve

Post by 964steve »

Thanks for the replies.
I will try again. Maybe it is because I am using android but I first connect to PCM with WiFi and that works but then I can't connect with Bluetooth too and as I only have the built in sim in the car I can't use data on the phone. The latter is more a phone issue, as when connected too a WiFi connection it doesn't recognise it doesn't have Internet so doesn't try the 4g connection instead. Maybe I'll get one of my teenage kids to take a look...