Trying to add POI's

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

goron59 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am The fussiness of the file parser and size is a real service failure, here.

I just created this one (a few whisky bars from SMWS) and uploaded and and it worked ok.

SMWS Bars

I created it by making a new map in Google Maps online, adding the places to the single layer, then exporting the layer to a KML file.
On my Mac I have to then rename Whisky.kml.xml to just Whisky.kml, and then it uploaded just fine.

"Just fine" - LOL - given the hoops you have to go through.

Give that one a try so you can at least see how the process works.

If you get KML files from other sources, you may need to strip it down a bit, as there is a limit to the number of points and I suspect the parser at their end gets confused by the additional crap that some producers include.
Thanks Goron, I'll give that a try soon as I have a minute or two.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

I’ve gone into the pcm. Nav/Dest/poi and there is no option to import. Bear in mind I have these instructions on “My Porsche” portal. See below.

Looks like the function may well have been removed.

639ED8F8-2A6D-47BA-B3A3-5E1BA382157A.png

Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

smithy37 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:55 am I’ve gone into the pcm. Nav/Dest/poi and there is no option to import. Bear in mind I have these instructions on “My Porsche” portal. See below.

Looks like the function may well have been removed.
I know that I've heard/read somewhere that the new Cayenne PCM is different from the other current model PCM 4.0 so maybe you'll need to find, if available, the specific instructions for your car, although I can see that you've logged into the portal for your car. Certainly the screen shots you've posted are different from the way mine are displayed on the My Porsche portal.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

goron59

Post by goron59 »

POI Lists are not normally visible in the PCM anyway, they just show up as icons by type on the map. [ Update: actually, can find and navigate to them - see post below ]

Once they've been uploaded to the portal, and set to "Available in the vehicle" you get into the car, then (if not done automatically):
  • Go to home screen, then Set, then Software update.
  • Choose "Online update"

POI list PCM 1.jpg

• You should see your new additions to the POI lists appearing as available to download:

POI list PCM 2.jpg

• So select them and download in the usual way (check box and push start on mine). This might take a while, but when complete, you see this:

POI list PCM 3.jpg

• Now, whenever you have the map showing and one of your POIs from the list is in range, it will show on the screen. I think the little red man next to the icon indicates it's a user one. Here's an example from the Whisky ones I mentioned in an earlier post

POI list PCM 4.jpg

That's more or less it.
Non list POIs from the portal show up in the Favourites section, scroll down to Portal POIs and you can see/update them there.

All confusing, but can be worthwhile.
Last edited by goron59 on Sat May 05, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

goron59 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 pm POI Lists are not normally visible in the PCM anyway, they just show up as icons by type on the map.

Once they've been uploaded to the portal, and set to "Available in the vehicle" you get into the car, then (if not done automatically):
  • Go to home screen, then Set, then Software update.
  • Choose "Online update"
    POI list PCM 1.jpg
  • You should see your new additions to the POI lists appearing as available to download:
    POI list PCM 2.jpg
  • So select them and download in the usual way (check box and push start on mine). This might take a while, but when complete, you see this:
    POI list PCM 3.jpg
  • Now, whenever you have the map showing and one of your POIs from the list is in range, it will show on the screen. I think the little red man next to the icon indicates it's a user one. Here's an example from the Whisky ones I mentioned in an earlier post
    POI list PCM 4.jpg
That's more or less it.
Non list POIs from the portal show up in the Favourites section, scroll down to Portal POIs and you can see/update them there.

All confusing, but can be worthwhile.
Brilliant Goron, thanks again. I'd managed the first step and saved a couple of files to the portal on the Mac, in the process discovering that the reason for the earlier error message was that it doesn't like file extensions in caps, but I couldn't get them to appear in the car. I'll have a go at the software update now.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the guy at the OPC who has apparently 'been on the course' has no knowledge of this process!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Wow, this thread has progressed beyond my capability (not difficult :lol: ). One has to be an IT expert to do all that, well done Goron, thank you! 8-)

I always found phoning the Porsche Connect help line quite helpful, number quoted on the Porsche Portal. Perhaps if stuck with the new Cayenne, give them a call, Smithy37.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am
Semerka wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 pm Hello Smithy37, if I remember correctly, I think that you need to save the list of POI's from a website on your computer as a .gpx file or such like and then upload to the My Porsche portal.

Click on the Portal List POI’s tile to configure, then click on the arrow up icon.
Amazed when I saw this, given that I've posted several times recently that I couldn't see how GPX files could be uploaded to the car!
I must have missed your recent posts, sorry! I don't check in here every day, so I really only see the most active threads, I suppose. :)

But I sort of knew only the first step anyway, how to upload to the portal, not the car. ;)
Goron has cracked it! I have bookmarked this page now. :)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Semerka wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:49 am
Semerka wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 pm Hello Smithy37, if I remember correctly, I think that you need to save the list of POI's from a website on your computer as a .gpx file or such like and then upload to the My Porsche portal.

Click on the Portal List POI’s tile to configure, then click on the arrow up icon.
Amazed when I saw this, given that I've posted several times recently that I couldn't see how GPX files could be uploaded to the car!
I must have missed your recent posts, sorry! I don't check in here every day, so I really only see the most active threads, I suppose. :)

But I sort of knew only the first step anyway, how to upload to the portal, not the car. ;)
Goron has cracked it! I have bookmarked this page now. :)
Getting the hang of this thing is a right voyage of discovery isn’t it?

Thankfully Goron has returned to help us with these technical problems!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

goron59

Post by goron59 »

It must take a special sort of skill to design, develop, and approve for production, a system as crazy and confusing as this!

Even after 2 years, I find myself forgetting where half the options are in the PCM :(
I still generally just plug the iPhone in and use CarPlay, but the POIs thing is quite useful.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Earlier I stated that "POI Lists are not normally visible in the PCM anyway, they just show up as icons by type on the map."

Not quite true, as I discovered today. :roll:

When you search for a POI, you can search clearly[1] within your uploaded lists as this vid shows:

This is the same list (Whisky) that I used in the above post.

[1] Meaning you get to see your lists by the names you gave when uploading and then the names of the points within the list.
Last edited by goron59 on Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.