Apple Car Play

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

IOS 12 is now out. Isn't it suppose to allow Waze etc on CarPlay? It'll be interesting to see how well it works.

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Guy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:59 pm IOS 12 is now out. Isn't it suppose to allow Waze etc on CarPlay? It'll be interesting to see how well it works.
Yes, it's supposed to allow Waze and Google Maps. Fingers crossed, the Porsche PCM Nav is dire. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Waze and Google maps is still in private beta so think it may be a few more weeks.

Google maps beta screenshots below via Carplay

75A5F26C-C7FF-4070-A024-85AFA2F4B060.jpeg

168043BC-873E-411F-8910-6018DC92A740.jpeg

GTS 😀
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Indeed, looks like we have to wait a couple more months for the developers:

Third-Party Navigation App Support!!!
—————-
This is the biggest request Apple has likely received since it begun its CarPlay platform. iOS 12 will now allow its users to run other compatible navigation apps on the CarPlay display, bypassing Apple’s own Maps app entirely. Fans of TomTom, Sygic, Google Maps and Waze will be able to run these apps on the CarPlay display and have turn-by-turn audio play over your in-car speakers.

All of the these navigations apps are currently still in development, with half of them already undergoing a private beta phase. It’s likely iOS 12 CarPlay app updates for Google and Waze will ship with in the next few months, whilst is TomTom reporting that their update will be released early in the new year.
Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

There’s a ref on the PMCW - Porsche Macan Club Worldwide - FB page. An owner in Canada shows Waze up and running albeit as a Beta version.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Semerka wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:45 pm
Guy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:59 pm IOS 12 is now out. Isn't it suppose to allow Waze etc on CarPlay? It'll be interesting to see how well it works.
Yes, it's supposed to allow Waze and Google Maps. Fingers crossed, the Porsche PCM Nav is dire.
I think that's a bit unfair Semerka. We've just returned from a two-week trip around France and the PCM nav did a pretty good job. OK, as we've already discussed, it's impossible to preload a sizeable route, so in this case, as we were following the Route des Grandes Alpes, we had a portable Garmin with us and that saved us from getting lost in Cluses. But for point to point, POIs, hotels and for online searches the PCM nav worked well. I don't have experience of other manufacturers' built-in nav systems so will have to leave that for others to comment on.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Porsche SatNav is far from dire, it works pretty well with the odd postcode lottery thrown in

In car Audi was a pig to programme and indifferent in routing.

Jag system just worked but not necessarily by the most direct route.

Mini system just works without drama

BMW system just works without drama

Honda Goldwing inbuilt SatNav would never take me on anything but back lanes and on one occasions it failed to direct us correctly at a junction.

Standalone

Tom Tom 1 a software system on my mobile phone was very hit and miss even taking me down a farmers track on one occasion

TomTom 2 was cr4p straight away, incorrect routing, voicing too late, routing programming a nightmare

Garmin 1 was great it did every thing but it did like to take me off motorways only to have me rejoin the motorway immediately. It did get us lost in a one way system in a town in Holland which presumably was more recent than the in unit map data. But it faultlessly took us from Lancashire to Bad Grund in the Harz region of Germany.

Garmin 2 worked but would not hold routes created on a PC ( was a freebie with Beamer motorcycle ) and sold with the bike

Garmin 3, superb, did everything well and I regret selling it.

Mental note for myself..... never pay for an in car SatNav again, standalones are far more flexible.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am The Porsche SatNav is far from dire, it works pretty well with the odd postcode lottery thrown in

Honda Goldwing inbuilt SatNav would never take me on anything but back lanes and on one occasions it failed to direct us correctly at a junction.

Standalone

Tom Tom 1 a software system on my mobile phone was very hit and miss even taking me down a farmers track on one occasion

TomTom 2 was cr4p straight away, incorrect routing, voicing too late, routing programming a nightmare

Garmin 1 was great it did every thing but it did like to take me off motorways only to have me rejoin the motorway immediately. It did get us lost in a one way system in a town in Holland which presumably was more recent than the in unit map data. But it faultlessly took us from Lancashire to Bad Grund in the Harz region of Germany.

Garmin 2 worked but would not hold routes created on a PC ( was a freebie with Beamer motorcycle ) and sold with the bike

Mental note for myself..... never pay for an in car SatNav again, standalones are far more flexible.

What period does this cover, Col?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 am
I think that's a bit unfair Semerka. We've just returned from a two-week trip around France and the PCM nav did a pretty good job. OK, as we've already discussed, it's impossible to preload a sizeable route, so in this case, as we were following the Route des Grandes Alpes, we had a portable Garmin with us and that saved us from getting lost in Cluses. But for point to point, POIs, hotels and for online searches the PCM nav worked well. I don't have experience of other manufacturers' built-in nav systems so will have to leave that for others to comment on.
We find that we really have to be careful which route it sends us and also once on the way, the lady at times suddenly insists on diverting us. So we constantly cross check with Google maps on the long journeys. Last Sunday, on a straight forward route of some 750 miles from Trebon, Czechia to Calais, France the lady had several fits. We mostly know it by heart now. But still, you question your decision when the PCM suddenly announces a route change and you know it is a nonsense, because you know the road and you know it is not closed and there is no need for a diversion. (But the PCM does alert you to traffic problems - some genuine - which you can then investigate, so that's a plus) :?

The PCM only suggests one route option, but that is most probably user error on our part, I have to look into that. :)
Our stable:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am The Porsche SatNav is far from dire, it works pretty well with the odd postcode lottery thrown in

Standalone

What period does this cover, Col?
Mike

From 2003 with the inbuilt Jaguar one, 2014 Audi, 2016 Macan with older PCM, 2016 Macan, others have been on loaners but there was the Merc system as well which I used constantly for the two weeks we had the car and that system worked very well.

The first SatNav standalone was the TomTom software on a mobile then the Garmin unit.

The latest was the Mini unit 18 months ago that we bought for our Daughter I used it for a couple if weeks before it was fitted to her car. Whilst it was badged as Mini it was a Garmin but it was not their fixed system it was an add on

BTW
The one really good thing about the Audi SatNav was that all the maps were on an SD card, updates were quick and easy.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags