Music on SD Card

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
alizchaudhry

Post by alizchaudhry »

All,
I have a 64Gb SD card and have placed mp3 music files on it. When I put it into either SD slot, I get a cannot read source message. However, when I put it in a USB SD card reader and plug it into the USB port of my Macan, the music comes up just fine and can play. Has anyone had the same problems and, if so, is there a fix?
2018 Macan S.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry, can’t help as mine works fine in the SD slots.....only 8Gb, just dragged and dropped from my PC i-tunes back-up.
Have you tried a different card? Different size?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
John_M

Post by John_M »

If you put in the computer - what format does the operating system think it is? - Some devices may not be happy of the card isn't exFat - see Wiki if over 32G (I don't know if PCM is one of them)
alizchaudhry

Post by alizchaudhry »

Thanks for the quick responses. Have tried both a 128 and 64 Gb card. It is formatted exFAT. The card plays just fine in the Porsche USB (with a reader). So I don't think it is a problem with the mp3 format or the Card itself. File names/length are all compliant. Update. I took it to the dealer and tried the card in another Porsche. Same problem. Dealer said Porsche stopped supporting SD cards and that they are only for downloading (early teen models could play SD files). That does not make sense to me as people have played music on their 2017's. I call BS.
John_M

Post by John_M »

Mine definitely plays from SD (2017), but it only has 4G card in (grabbed old camera one when the USB drive was using died), but generally I use a USB drive - I wondered if they are limited to 32G but from google looks like 128 is limit
Guy

Post by Guy »

Isn’t there a 10000 track limit with sd cards? Perhaps this is the problem.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I use 128gb Sd cards in the Macan and also other cars perfectly fine. My17 model and 128gb was the maximum support.
What make / model cards are you using. There is a possibility of a comparability issue. (Too high spec cards)
I have used class 10 Panasonic and Sandisk extreme Pro perfectly fine.

I would suggest you format the card and just put one track or album on and see if it’s regognised.
Some info below of what is supported may help

SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC memory cards
USB mass storage exFAT, FAT or FAT32, NTFS file systems with a maximum of 4 partitions

.mp3 (does not apply to DVD changer); .wma; .asf; .m4a; .m4b; .aac; .flac; .mpg; .mpeg; .avi; .mp4; .m4v; .mov; .wmv

Max 10000 files per medium.

Album covers up to 800 x 800 pixels; GIF, JPG and PNG formats or via Gracenote database
(Even though I have mine bigger than 800x800 and are fine)

Hope this helps.
GTS 😀