Tracker

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
weemsy6147

Post by weemsy6147 »

All

For the first time ever my employer's car insurance provider has insisted on a Tracker being fitted to the car. I know when I collected my car last Sept that I didn't activate / use the fob that came with the car. I think the service is provided by Vodafone?

Does anyone else use this and carry the fob around or have you installed a different Tracker?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I use the Porsche fitted one, and yes, it’s operated (poorly) by Vodafone Automotive (or whatever they’re called now - it was Cobra but VF bought them).

It’s mostly shit service. No other word does it justice.

On two occasions they sent me a letter - yes, a letter - saying it had been 28 days since they’d had any contact with my car.

The car needs to have cellular (presumably a flavour of Vodafone in the UK) coverage, so if you park underground, or in parts of Wales, it gives up and dies.

So if your insurance needs it, fine. If it doesn’t I’d ignore it and if I felt I needed a tracker I’d look elsewhere.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
andreas

Post by andreas »

I use the standard Vodafone tracker, and find it works well. On one occasion I was at the dealership and they unexpectedly wanted to drive my car, so I gave them the key but not the fob (which was in my wallet). A few minutes later I had a call and text from Vodafone, telling me the car had gone walkabout!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
weemsy6147

Post by weemsy6147 »

So people have to carry round the fob all the time? How does it work?

Thanks
Paul

Post by Paul »

weemsy6147 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 pm So people have to carry round the fob all the time? How does it work?

Thanks
As long as the fob is in your pocket when you start the car and drive off, all is well. (Check the next demo you drive - it’ll be in the glove-box!)

Start up and drive off with the fob on the hall table and you get a call from the provider to check, and so on.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macman

Post by Macman »

I use the Porsche fitted Voadafone one. Carrying the fob separately from the ignition key is the main drawback, I have the ignition key separate from the other keys, the fob is attached to the others e.g front door key etc. The theory is that very time I go out in the car I take the house keys with me and can’t forget the fob. It usually works...

I’ve had no problems with Vodafone themselves, always polite on the odd occasion they have to phone me and tell me the car’s moving without the fob. This last happened when I just turned on the ignition when the fob was in the house, I just wanted to wind a window down or something.

The main benefit I think is if thieves steal your ignition key and drive off, Vodafone are straight onto them, day or night.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

On two Macan the Vodafone system has proved to be next to u/s.

It failed to locate the car, I could not find it in a large 1/2 mile x 1/2 mile car park at a country show, it fails to find the car in a multi story car park.

It fails to connect at spurious times.

If it is just for your works then that is fine, but if your works have a tracker on your location then it may well be problematic.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Macman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:26 pm
The main benefit I think is if thieves steal your ignition key and drive off, Vodafone are straight onto them, day or night.
Unless they disable it whilst your your car away from signal. It's really not that hard.

I know I'm unlucky, but I get calls from them a lot saying the car's been moved without the fob, and it hasn't, it's just shoddy coverage/spotty gps reception (underground carpark). Once I told them I CANNOT say the car is ok and I'll have to go and check. They then said, and I quote, "OK, that's fine then. I'll stand down the alert."
WTF? So I checked, and the car was there (it always is) and I called them back and was on hold for about 30 mins, then gave up.

At the moment, I get none of this grief because the tracker hasn't contacted the mothership for a few weeks (3rd or 4th time it's broken). I'm waiting for the letter. Then I get the joy of explaining to the OPC it's failed. Again. "Underground carpark again? Yes, bring it in."

I'm just glad the only thing wrong my Macan (and my previous Macan) is the shoddy tracker stuff. Could be worse. Could be a diesel or have transfer box issues!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR