4-point DRL

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Macanporsche

Post by Macanporsche »

Hi

New to the forum, just a question regarding my new Macan S.

One of the reasons I went for this particular car was because of the look of the 4-point DRLs. However from what I can see, the only way for these to show is to set the headlight switch to auto. They only then show if it’s bright enough not to activate the full headlights at which point they turn off.

The issue is that the headlight sensor seems massively over sensitive which combined with dull UK days in during autumn/winter months means the 4-point DRLs are never visible.

Is it the case that there’s no way to ‘force’ the 4-points to be on? Really disappointing if so.

Strangely, another Macan passed me today with only its 4-point DRLs on, however my cars headlights (set to auto) were on for the whole journey (seen from the green headlight symbol on the dash) despite it being fairly bright this morning.

I saw a post that said the 4-points show with the switch in the off position, but for me this is not the case and only the strips in the bumper light up in the off position.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome,

I need to go and physically check, just to make sure, but I’m confident the 4 point dlrs are indeed on when the switch is in the off position (ie, all the way round to the left)

The strips underneath that you mention are the sidelights which come on when the switch is round clockwise to position 1o’clock.

(And yes, the light sensors are far too sensitive!)

Edit - and I'm working on the assumption you've got xenons or LED as the standard halogens don't have the 4 point - they have the bar underneath the main headlight.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macanporsche

Post by Macanporsche »

Thanks for the info, I’m 100% sure the 4-point are not on when the switch is in off (far left) position.

Yes car has Xenons but but sure about PDLS or PDLS+....not sure if you can tell from exterior, attached image.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The four point DRLs on my MY17 Turbo are lit with the light switch in the 'off' position. Checked with ignition on but engine off. I have Xenons with PDLS.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Agree with above comments.....

I normally have light switch off ........... 4 point drl on.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Same for me. DRL on even if light switch off although usually run on auto
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Macanporsche

Post by Macanporsche »

Just been out to check as you got me questioning myself now :lol:

Turns out they are on with lights in off position, however it’s dark now and I’m sure that wasn’t the case when I checked earlier today. Will report back tomorrow but I’m guessing you guys are right :D
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

They are daytime running lights aren’t they. Means they run all the time irrespective of switch position.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Got no idea what they do... not really bothered as I can't see them when I am driving the car!
Macanporsche

Post by Macanporsche »

Turns out they are on when switch is in the off position, I must have checked without engine on. Thanks