2014 Macan, how to update sat nav maps?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Dandock wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 pm Does anyone know what is the version number of the updated Nav? Mine was supposed to have been updated when it went in for the extended warranty checks etc in February but is currently reading ‘whatever the long number is’ 2017/2018. Am I smelling a rat here?

What sparked my concern was that it didn’t register at all the new ring road to/from Bristol Airport. Just showed us going cross-country!
Take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8353&p=174096#p174096

Kasfranks99 kindly posted this at my request after recently getting his updated.
Thanks Nick

I’m pretty sure that doesn’t marry with mine but will have a look tomorrow - and post relevant pics for reference.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As I suspected... :( Nothing like the upgrades shown above. :shock: But a lot like the example before the upgrade. :!:

I also referenced their invoice which shows the time taken as about 0.3xx hrs!

One question. Would there / should there be a different between what a March 16 S would qualify for and the Dec 16 GTS shown in the link?

F62A883A-E68F-435C-BD7F-532C901FEA2B.jpeg

84A2F962-11A1-49F7-A14D-EA999676A9BA.jpeg

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm As I suspected... :( Nothing like the upgrades shown above. :shock: But a lot like the example before the upgrade. :!:

One question. Would there / should there be a different between what a March 16 S would qualify for and the Dec 16 GTS shown in the link?

The Macan parts list includes SD cards for updating navigation data. There's only one for European cars up to and including MY 2017. Would be interesting to find out if this is what they used, or didn't!

And interestingly, it's the same part number for the 911!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm As I suspected... :( Nothing like the upgrades shown above. :shock: But a lot like the example before the upgrade. :!:

The Macan parts list includes SD cards for updating navigation data. There's only one for European cars up to and including MY 2017. Would be interesting to find out if this is what they used, or didn't!

And interestingly, it's the same part number for the 911!
The same across the range no doubt. It wouldn’t do to let the lesser beings get lost. :roll: Except we do!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

So.. (as the current idiom appears to be)...

Apparently I have PCM4 (its a MY17 petrol S first registered 1 March 16) for which I requested the current upgrade which I was told was no problem. The work was allegedly carried out at the end of Feb and according to their invoice took 20 minutes!

I've only ever had one upgrade prior to this which was after the first service.

Having seen the examples on this thread, and suspecting that what I had should be better than it is, on 20 March I asked them to check the Version No. of the upgrade. Despite several nudges they appeared to struggled to find the information and emailed to say that this morning.

So I thought I might lend a hand.

I sent the Porsche code for a Nav update from the Porsche website and copied the 'January' examples and report of that experience from earlier in this thread together with pics of my current 'newly upgraded' setup. I also gave them an example of the dire state of what my 'updrade' delivers by pointing out that it failed to recognise the new ring road to Bristol Airport which opened in January 17!

This is their response.

Good afternoon....

Many thanks for previous email.
As you may be aware software updates and navigation updates are two different tasks.

I can confirm that your navigation display on your screen (carried out in February), is the latest 2018 update that is available to us. I am sorry to hear it did not recognise the new area you were driving though, please be aware that the information contained in updates can be 12-18 months prior to the production of the update, which may explain why some map features are not shown.

Your vehicle history also shows that software updates have taken place as well as the navigation updates. This shows that your software is also completely up to date.

The part number 95804490550 that you supplied us is a navigation update for PCM 3.1. and is not valid for your vehicle which has PCM 4.

The PCM software version is vehicle is running is 0807.
The sat navigation version is running 2017/2018.

There are no part number represented on these software update, as they are no longer a CD update like the previous PMC 3.1 would have been.

I accept my error re 95804490550 but it would seem bizarre that PCM 3 and 3.1 get 2019 when PCM 4 doesn't!

As the whole Nav upgrade appears to be one contradictory and confusing mess all comment would be gratefully received. For example, where does one go to verify what should be? M :?