PCM HDD memory in new 2019 Macan

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
happy days

Post by happy days »

Talking of which...

I copied all of our iTunes music onto the HDD Jukebox in both cars. Wife has now started using jukebox on her evening commute and wants to makeup her own playlists on iTunes so she doesn't have to listen to my old man music.

Can the existing jukebox content be overwritten?
Macan S D
718 S

Fast_Eddie

Post by Fast_Eddie »

When I purchased my MY16 Macan I was surprised to learn that despite the specifications claimed by Porsche in its manual - that the PCM would play and order WAV files, that it would not order into the file structure that Porsche claim (artist/album/track). This rendered the fact that it would play files useless for practical purposes. A 20Gb HDD was also not going to cut it with high res files.

I have now spent many hours researching and testing and learned how to play high res files - and like many things it is a quite simple solution. So for those other frustrated souls looking for higher quality music and enhanced storage....

1. Convert as necessary the files you require into AIFF/AIF file type (I have not checked FLAC because I don't want to keep 2 copies). This is best done using a converter that has a tag editor such as Media Center so that you can ensure that all fields are correctly populated.
(AIFF/AIF is an uncompressed file type like WAV, but with ID3 tag support).

2. I purchased an iPhone 7 with 256Gb (fits in the console). Using iOS 11.2.2 it is possible to play up to 192kHz 24bit files. I have not updated iOS as I do not use the phone for anything other than music in the car and I don't want to risk a later version.
I have not tested higher rates or bit depths, as I have not found higher hi-res files generally available as yet, (plus my home DAC will only play to this level). The phone is left in the console and when I get back in it starts where it left off.

3. Import the files by drag and drop from MC into iTunes.

4. I found that some album art would not transfer over for some reason, but that is easily solved within iTunes by drag and drop. This was very few albums.

5. Connect to the PCM via USB and go for it.

Note that in an MY16 the AIFF files will not play direct via USB or load onto Jukebox as the file type is not recognised – it must be done via an iPod device.

Hope this helps a few other frustrated audiophiles out there with HDD limitations and/or being relegated to low quality file types.
mjrennie

Post by mjrennie »

I had all sorts of problems getting it to play from a 256GB memory card with 4-5k tunes. It would only recognise the first 900+ tunes.

I posted on here when the solution was worked out by the Dealer Principal. Just divide the songs into files containing less than 1k songs. For whatever reason, it will still randomly play from all of the files hence the full music collection is available.