PCM HDD memory in new 2019 Macan

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
shale9

Post by shale9 »

Hi, can anyone please advise what the overall storage capacity is for the PCM in the new 2019 Macan? Is it a HDD with 40 gb still? I cant see it listed anywhere. I am seeing 11gb but this cant be the overall amount.

Thanks.

89se7en

Post by 89se7en »

This interests me too. Is latest PCM HDD FLAC compatible? I've just converted 100gb of FLAC files to mp3 to fit a 40gb HDD, which took a while. Just waiting for someone to tell me I've wasted my time..
And will I notice the difference between mp3 and FLAC on Bose (20inch wheels and steel springs, because road noise does affect).
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

89se7en wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:43 pm This interests me too. Is latest PCM HDD FLAC compatible? I've just converted 100gb of FLAC files to mp3 to fit a 40gb HDD, which took a while. Just waiting for someone to tell me I've wasted my time..
And will I notice the difference between mp3 and FLAC on Bose (20inch wheels and steel springs, because road noise does affect).
Original Macans had a 30Gb drive, then in 2016 for some idiotic reason known only to the plonker working within Porsche who decided to fit Macans with a miserly 10Gb unit.

So yeah, you have wasted your cash buying the FLAC unless they have upped the HDD size in the new Macan.

OK so I am being a little unkind the SD slots or USB socket (not sure what is fitted to the new Macan) will take a memory device which will play your FLAC files.

Unless the same plonker within Porsche has screwed up what the infotainment system will play.

Exciting not knowing :)

My 10Gb HD us full if FLAC albums with play very well.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
89se7en

Post by 89se7en »

Thanks Col.. Luckily the FLAC files were free. My HDD player at home imports all my CDs to FLAC files, and l back that up to a 128gb usb3 stick, which hopefully I'll be able to play in the car...whenever it drags itself out of the compound and into my OPC.
Perhaps I should ask my OPC how big the HDD is, tho they seem to know very little about not a lot, so perhaps I'll just wait for the surprise when it arrives.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm Original Macans had a 30Gb drive,
Actually 40GB in the original - I'm struggling to use it all ;)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Also interested in this but happy with USB sticks as long as I can still do playlists and may be the better method if disk capacity restricted

My worry is that for the previous models Macans the online manuals do talk about the "Jukebox" and copying files to it. In the Porsche Good to Know app for the facelift, there is no mention of "Jukebox" just USB and SD cards.

my digital music files currently 70GB so if jukebox if still present 40GB then I might just use USB drive.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Below is for the new Macan. It would appear no HD
Have to say all my cars for the last 10 years have all had HD. But I have never bothered to use as always used a decent 128gb SD Card. Much easier.
Flac will sounds better.

Now stream using Carplay too.
Hope this helps.

Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

Technical data: Audio and video files

Supported media

SD cards up to 128 GB

Portable players MTP Player, USB 2.0 devices of "USB Device Subclass 1 and 6" such as, for example, USB sticks, USB MP3 players without special driver software, external USB Flash memory and hard drives

File system

SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC memory cards

USB mass storage exFAT, FAT or FAT32, NTFS file systems with a maximum of 4 partitions

Format

MPEG 1/2 Layer 3; Windows Media Audio 9 and 10; MPEG 2/4; FLAC, MPEG 1/2; ISO-MPEG4; DivX 3, 4 and 5; Xvid; ISO-MPEG4 H.264 (MPEG4 AVC); Windows Media Video 9

File extension

.mp3; .wma; .asf; .m4a; .m4b; .aac; .flac; .mpg; .mpeg; .avi; .mp4; .m4v; .mov; .wmv

Playback lists

.M3U; .PLS; .WPL; .M3U8; .ASX

Characteristics

max. 320 kbit/s and 48 kHz sampling frequency; max. 2,000 kbit/s and 720x576 px. at max. 25 fps

Number of files

USB mass storage and memory cards max. 10,000 files per medium, max. 1,000 files per directory/playback list

Metadata

Album covers up to 800 x 800 pixels; GIF, JPG and PNG formats or via Gracenote database
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I'd be surprised if the new PCM had any internal storage. Utterly redundant as you can plug in a much larger and faster SD card.
Further utterly redundant if you use streaming/CarPlay.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

I specifically asked about this as I liked & used it on my Mercedes, my current BMW doesn’t have it & aparently neither will my new Macan :(
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The way the audio system deals with music files leave a lot to be desired.

On my PC music is within the My Music folder with folders by artist then sub-folders by album.

All music files then imported into iTunes which has the My Music folder on my PC set as its preferred location, Playlists also created.

The whole of the My Music folder was then copied to a 128Gb SD card which was then inserted into my car.

All went well and no problems for neigh on two years until the service where they updated the system.

Now my Playlists do not work.

At present cannot be assed going through the process again to see if it will then work.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags