Which Nav version do you have?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

SAC1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 pm ^_^Thanks to Dandock, I have just had a call back from my OPC to say YES it is available after all. :oops: It was not listed by Porsche GB Parts Dept. under "Sat Nav" but "Technical". They have ordered this SD card and will advise me it's in and be able to do the job. Apparently it will take 2 hours to install and it takes a lot of battery power. So needs to be done at their premises.

I will report back once actually successfully installed......
Tell me, are with Tewkesbury?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Swindon (same Dick Lovett group as Tewkesbury)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

SAC1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 am Swindon (same Dick Lovett group as Tewkesbury)
Maybe there’s a bow wave. My car’s in next week for a wheel refurb so I thought I might persuade them to do an update at the same time. So when I phoned earlier I was expecting to have to provide the part no. etc. To my surprise she said that following a request yesterday and then some research they’d identified the part and that it was in ‘technical’. Such a coincidence I thought it may be you. Maybe it came via Swindon? Anyway they’re ordering the part and I’m hoping will load it foc as I only had two over the first 3 years. Fingers crossed.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Having read the posts, I thought it was about time (3years old in Sept) that I got my Sat Nav updated, it will be the first update from new.
Contacted my OPC, who at first said there is a charge, I sort of challenged this, mentioning that updates were free while under warranty. They were unable to find any reference to Sat Nav updates for my vehicle. I said that after nearly three years, surely it needs updating as a lot of roads will have changed.
I gave them the part no. ending in 000.AL which Dandock mentioned, they would check it out and call back. They duly did. They said that part no. could not be found, saying it could be chasis no specific. Well blow me down.
In all fairness they asked me to email the letter, from the Forum regarding the answer from Reading with that part no. I said that I would call in next week to speak with them.
We shall see what happens.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:09 pm Having read the posts, I thought it was about time (3years old in Sept) that I got my Sat Nav updated, it will be the first update from new.
Contacted my OPC, who at first said there is a charge, I sort of challenged this, mentioning that updates were free while under warranty. They were unable to find any reference to Sat Nav updates for my vehicle. I said that after nearly three years, surely it needs updating as a lot of roads will have changed.
I gave them the part no. ending in 000.AL which Dandock mentioned, they would check it out and call back. They duly did. They said that part no. could not be found, saying it could be chasis no specific. Well blow me down.
In all fairness they asked me to email the letter, from the Forum regarding the answer from Reading with that part no. I said that I would call in next week to speak with them.
We shall see what happens.
To be fair to Tewkesbury whilst saying that they could confirm that an update has been issued the part number they had was different from the one I was given by Porsche BG. No surprise there!

I’m waiting for them to call back to confirm - or not - that they could get the part for early next week and will do the update gratis.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I toddled off to the OPC yesterday, and spoke with the service dept'. And today they got back to me. Still looking to find the the update, they think it's on a CD. And said that there is a cost of £250 for it. But will get back when it's been found.
They said that the part no. I quoted was specific to the chassis no. Saying there was a glitch in earlier PCM's which needed the update to rectify it.
I didn't realise that it could be so complicated to sort out. As mentioned earlier, they don't seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. :(
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

TheTraveller wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 pm I toddled off to the OPC yesterday, and spoke with the service dept'. And today they got back to me. Still looking to find the the update, they think it's on a CD. And said that there is a cost of £250 for it. But will get back when it's been found.
They said that the part no. I quoted was specific to the chassis no. Saying there was a glitch in earlier PCM's which needed the update to rectify it.
I didn't realise that it could be so complicated to sort out. As mentioned earlier, they don't seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. :(
Mine is supposed to be being done this week. Will know tomorrow. 🙏
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Well... Picked Kitty up from Tewkesbury yesterday. Three wheels done... but not the satnav!

The gospel according to the service assistant was that I have PCM4 - the most up-to-date - and that the upgrade only applies to PCM3. And that it is only a data upgrade anyway, and not an upgrade of maps Also that the supplied part number - no surprise here - came up blank.

Please correct me but I was under the impression that PCM relates to the unit itself and not the software?

Anyway, having once again slithered down a snake, said assistant promised to speak to Porsche UK and, I hope Dick Lovett Swindon. For my part I promised to forward any relevant information that comes my way via the Forum.

All-in-all totally less than even satisfactory. Having had CarPlay in the Little White Loaner I’m seriously pondering spending the cash even if it’s only to avoid the occasional domestics prompted by Heidi not being able to find her way round this ever changing world. My current software which I’m told is THE MOST UP TO DATE is seemingly at least 2 years OUT OF DATE.

For a manufacturer of Porsche’s reputation, and one that’s about to launch itself into the world of EVs and all the continual software updating that goes along with that, to be apparently incapable of both creating and supplying contemporary navigation is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

AND BY A LONG WAY.

(Rant over 🤬)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

:(
Dandock wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:16 am Well... Picked Kitty up from Tewkesbury yesterday. Three wheels done... but not the satnav!

The gospel according to the service assistant was that I have PCM4 - the most up-to-date - and that the upgrade only applies to PCM3. And that it is only a data upgrade anyway, and not an upgrade of maps Also that the supplied part number - no surprise here - came up blank.

Please correct me but I was under the impression that PCM relates to the unit itself and not the software?

Anyway, having once again slithered down a snake, said assistant promised to speak to Porsche UK and, I hope Dick Lovett Swindon. For my part I promised to forward any relevant information that comes my way via the Forum.

All-in-all totally less than even satisfactory. Having had CarPlay in the Little White Loaner I’m seriously pondering spending the cash even if it’s only to avoid the occasional domestics prompted by Heidi not being able to find her way round this ever changing world. My current software which I’m told is THE MOST UP TO DATE is seemingly at least 2 years OUT OF DATE.

For a manufacturer of Porsche’s reputation, and one that’s about to launch itself into the world of EVs and all the continual software updating that goes along with that, to be apparently incapable of both creating and supplying contemporary navigation is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

AND BY A LONG WAY.

(Rant over 🤬)
Hi Dandock, I'm with you all the way on that one. My PCM, shows version 2015/16. Although its a 2016 car, that means its a year out when installed. When I'm on foreign roads, the nav's out of date, and It's a good job to constantly look out for the direction signs. So it shows that it needs updating.
They're mighty good engineers, but software not yet.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Confusion perhaps between software version and maps version......?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465