Which Nav version do you have?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm 36 hours with OPC and further news. :cry:

Service phoned a short while ago to say that they cannot load the update and don't know why. They have successfully updated two stock Macans of similar vintage without problem but cannot the update mine.

So.... they're now going to consult Germany for advice.

Watch this space.

The good news is that I'm not going mad 1 :roll: and haven't been asking for the impossible. And OPC are learning from the issue. :ugeek:
Interesting developments Mike. At least they now sound like they own the problem. Fingers crossed!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm 36 hours with OPC and further news. :cry:

Service phoned a short while ago to say that they cannot load the update and don't know why. They have successfully updated two stock Macans of similar vintage without problem but cannot the update mine.

So.... they're now going to consult Germany for advice.

Watch this space.

The good news is that I'm not going mad 1 :roll: and haven't been asking for the impossible. And OPC are learning from the issue. :ugeek:
Interesting developments Mike. At least they now sound like they own the problem. Fingers crossed!
Just back from Tewkesbury and... we wait for the Germans. But I wouldn’t say that OPC have accepted responsibility, rather they are looking for lateral reasons such as the car being over 3 years old from original registration. Can’t see that myself for obvious reasons - it would simply make any updates chargeable. Or some difference in the apps in those cars that will and those that won’t.

Sounds a lot like fishing to me. :roll:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Well... we may be there!

Kitty was at OPC for 3 days last week following receipt of yet another SD Card from Germany. I’m told that the entire PCM software was upgraded, as was the Nav.

Without going on a trip previously known to be out of date it’s difficult to assess the Nav but certainly the version number is different.

As for the PCM, whilst looking the same it is definitely different. Eg up-to-date album graphics where previously there might have been simply a generic image.

What is clear is that Porsche’s reference system for updates is woeful. Touching wood - we’ve got there in the end. But only a meaningful trip will tell.

Oh, and for the duration they lent me a lovely, but very raucous, Guards Red 718T with every known bell n whistle that included, of course, very big wheels. Mrs D’s back was not happy :shock:

Something for the weekend, sir!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm Well... we may be there!

Kitty was at OPC for 3 days last week following receipt of yet another SD Card from Germany. I’m told that the entire PCM software was upgraded, as was the Nav.

Without going on a trip previously known to be out of date it’s difficult to assess the Nav but certainly the version number is different.

As for the PCM, whilst looking the same it is definitely different. Eg up-to-date album graphics where previously there might have been simply a generic image.

What is clear is that Porsche’s reference system for updates is woeful. Touching wood - we’ve got there in the end. But only a meaningful trip will tell.

Oh, and for the duration they lent me a lovely, but very raucous, Guards Red 718T with every known bell n whistle that included, of course, very big wheels. Mrs D’s back was not happy :shock:

It’s been a long haul but hopefully all up to date now Mike!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:17 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm Well... we may be there!

It’s been a long haul but hopefully all up to date now Mike!
Yes, hopefully. And thanks Nick (et al). Much encouragement from the many posts from all involved. :D :D
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

For reference this is what we now have...

8EA7958E-EF6D-4EB1-83BD-8EE4F3700BAF.jpeg

33975BD1-6099-42E3-8681-0D424B6A7027.jpeg

Paul

Post by Paul »

👍👍👏👏🥳🥳

(although Mike, without wishing to rain on your parade, SAC, Nick and me all show “2019” version whereas you show “2018/2019”......sorry.....😳😳😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:10 pm 👍👍👏👏🥳🥳

(although Mike, without wishing to rain on your parade, SAC, Nick and me all show “2019” version whereas you show “2018/2019”......sorry.....😳😳😉)
Yes. I’m ‘hoping’ that it’s simply a variation in notation.🤫 Certainty there is some difference - the middle four digits are 169 as opposed to 161. Having said that both yours and Nick’s say 175 - and 2019. So it’s something in between!

But it is Europe 17! Which would suggest a definite improvement of some sort. Does anyone know which is most relevant, the long number or the version number?

Goodness knows what’s going on. I don’t believe that the different OPCs are ‘trying it on’. Both Tewkesbury and Swindon have tried, having ordered and reordered SD cards. Both have liaised with the guy in Swindon who has successfully installed one. All of which suggests that the problem lies with either Porsche, who according to OPC don’t know either, or Kitty 😥

So until I go to previously known black spot there is no way, that I know of, of determining exactly what it has to offer. 😳😢😱

I guess I’ll just have to get out my Giant AA Road Book again.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 am
Paul wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:10 pm 👍👍👏👏🥳🥳

Yes. I’m ‘hoping’ that it’s simply a variation in notation.🤫 Certainty there is some difference - the middle four digits are 169 as opposed to 161. Having said that both yours and Nick’s say 175 - and 2019. So it’s something in between!

But it is Europe 17! Which would suggest a definite improvement of some sort. Does anyone know which is most relevant, the long number or the version number?

Goodness knows what’s going on. I don’t believe that the different OPCs are ‘trying it on’. Both Tewkesbury and Swindon have tried, having ordered and reordered SD cards. Both have liaised with the guy in Swindon who has successfully installed one. All of which suggests that the problem lies with either Porsche, who according to OPC don’t know either, or Kitty 😥

So until I go to previously known black spot there is no way, that I know of, of determining exactly what it has to offer. 😳😢😱

I guess I’ll just have to get out my Giant AA Road Book again.
The 'Version 17' refers to the version of Gracenote loaded, which is the proprietary software involved in producing mainly entertainment interfaces (I'm no expert on this BTW!) as I understand it. It's nothing to do with the navigation database. That information is contained in the single line ending in the date 2018/2019 in your case. As you've seen with other recent updates that date is 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another update in the first or second quarter of 2020.

I still cannot understand why it's been so hard for you. it was difficult enough for me! But as far as I can see, it's only a question of the OPC getting its hands on the latest version SD card.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
It might also be, from a dealership perspective, that Porsche offer 3 “free” updates which the individual dealerships have to pay for by way of SD card purchase and labour time.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465