Which Nav version do you have?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Having supposedly had a Nav update, and not being convinced that it’s either 1) not happened or 2) different to other updates, I’m curious to know who has what.

My S is MY17 and new on 1 March 16. It had one upgrade at about 12 months and has just had another so examples of those of a similar vintage would be the best - I guess. Image

I’d also be interested in knowing the versions of the other PCM elements. Ta! M

FBF05C6C-0F16-4C61-B7E5-51CA3248ED44.jpeg

41E1B427-F393-49E0-95EA-759B113A2ABD.jpeg

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

See my post using below link which may be of help.

Dec 2016 GTS. And then the update to latest pcm done last month. This is the latest PCM 4 update available.

The nav database you will see has remained the same as I do the database updates online myself.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8353&p=174178&hilit=Sim#p174178
GTS 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 am Having supposedly had a Nav update, and not being convinced that it’s either 1) not happened or 2) different to other updates, I’m curious to know who has what.
Colin set up this thread a while ago to try to capture who had what:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4792&hilit=software+version

I'm on the case with my OPC as the 911 is going in tomorrow for an oil change and the Macan next week for winter to summer wheel swap. I'll let you know how I get on!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 am See my post using below link which may be of help.

Dec 2016 GTS. And then the update to latest pcm done last month. This is the latest PCM 4 update available.

The nav database you will see has remained the same as I do the database updates online myself.

Yes I've seen that and but clearly your update is different to mine - 2018 rather than 2017-2018. And different Version numbers almost throughout.

Which is what led me to start this thread. And we all know from previous thread(s) that there's more than a little disparity of OPC knowledge and/or knowhow/service! I thought it would be useful to get a baseline.

You say you do the database updates yourself. Presumably I have to be subscribed to whatever it is ? Or maybe not?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 am See my post using below link which may be of help.

Yes I've seen that and but clearly your update is different to mine - 2018 rather than 2017-2018. And different Version numbers almost throughout.

Which is what led me to start this thread. And we all know from previous thread(s) that there's more than a little disparity of OPC knowledge and/or knowhow/service! I thought it would be useful to get a baseline.

You say you do the database updates yourself. Presumably I have to be subscribed to whatever it is ? Or maybe not?
Over the air updates can be done only if the car has Porsche Connect. But the number/size of downloads is limited, so it's easier to update the whole database with an SD card at the OPC.

My 911 has Connect but the Macan doesn't. We'll see how the OPC approach this over the next week.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Over the air updates can be done only if the car has Porsche Connect. But the number/size of downloads is limited, so it's easier to update the whole database with an SD card at the OPC.

My 911 has Connect but the Macan doesn't. We'll see how the OPC approach this over the next week.
So is this about those who subscribe to Connect or Connect Plus qualifying for superior upgrades or simply about the method by which they are delivered?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dandock wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:27 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm

So is this about those who subscribe to Connect or Connect Plus qualifying for superior upgrades or simply about the method by which they are delivered?
Good question - Connect Plus is a subscription service which includes navigation software updates over the air. Non Connect Plus cars with the navigation module option are entitled to three free navigation updates during the warranty period. At least that is how it was explained to me at the time I bought my Turbo in September '16. The Turbo at that time had navigation as standard BTW, although that shouldn't make any difference.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I see no reason why the database would not be the same irrelevant of having connect plus (I have) or not.

I expect if OPC is updating for you then they will have to order the latest database updates from Porsche.
I would think they are using an older database based on your screenshot Dandock.
GTS 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:38 pm I see no reason why the database would not be the same irrelevant of having connect plus (I have) or not.

I expect if OPC is updating for you then they will have to order the latest database updates from Porsche.
I would think they are using an older database based on your screenshot Dandock.
My thought exactly.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Update - we're still not there yet!

My 911 was in last week for an oil change. The OPC 'found' an SD card they didn't know they had. The service team didn't know what version it contained, however it was plugged into the car and left to do its thing while the other work was being done. Interestingly, the SD card box bore one of the two part numbers I had already given the service advisor having found it in the Macan parts list download.

Slightly clouding the issue was that a couple of weeks earlier I had updated two regions over the air (OTA) and that had changed the database version date from 2018 to 2019. The two regions were shown as 'already latest version' while the remainder were shown as available to update. Following the download from the SD card all regions were greyed out, ie not available to update OTA. The database version date remains at 2019. We agreed that this SD card would be used in the Macan when it went in for its winter/summer wheel swap on Tuesday.

So I duly pitched up at the OPC, full of anticipation! Long story short, the workshop tech discovered that the Macan, a non Connect Plus car, requires a different update procedure. They need to order in a CD and, separately, a licence key to enable the update. The car is booked in again on 25 April.

This saga feels a bit like Brexit!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold