Which Nav version do you have?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
skipper

Post by skipper »

I have a 2018 car running a 2017/2018 version of the NAV database. It’s warranty is coming up for renewal in October so I thought it best to get an update before it expires. I phoned the Hull dealership this morning and was told that they had not come across an update being available in a dealership and suggested I sign up to Porsche Connect and do it myself. Not being particularly techie, I don’t wish to attempt doing it myself and told him so. He said he would look into the matter and call me back. In fairness to Hull it is a new dealership and I guess they are still learning on the job, but I anticipate a bit of a battle ahead trying to get them to instal the correct 2019/2020 version free of charge. Any advice on what problems lie ahead would be appreciated.

The other thing he said was that real time traffic information was only available after my warranty expires by subscribing to Porsche Connect. Is that true?
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Don't know if you've seen the previous posts on the subject but different owners have had varying degrees of success with OPCs in getting this done. In my case I was told that my MY2017 non-Connect car was entitled to three updates during the warranty period. I got this written into the purchase contract though as I suspected it was going to be problematic. I'm sure that made a difference but I had to push all the way to get it done. There seemed to resistance all the way for some reason but it did get done eventually. However, in your case, if you have a Connect car why haven't you been able to do over the air (OTA) updates? If it's still in the warranty period is it not still in subscription? If it was never activated, for whatever reason, then I would pay the subscription and get it activated so you can then do OTA updates for the regions you need. There's a limit to how much you can do at a time but you could start with the UK then add other regions as necessary. Yes, the best outcome would be if they update the whole database in the workshop now but, as you say, that might take some persuading.

Yes, after the warranty is up you will need to pay the subscription in order to get online data for navigation etc.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
skipper

Post by skipper »

Thanks Nick,

I have read previous posts, some of them quite old now, but I formed the opinion that even trying to download updates oneself was fraught with a lot of uncertainty and disappointment. This being the case I have no desire to pay for Porsche Connect, something I have managed without for three years, only to be disappointed with the result, or worse still, mess up the system.

It seems lazy from Porsche’s point of view that owners are told to do it themselves. What if Porsche took that attitude to carrying out servicing? It’s nice to let people try to do things themselves especially if the nearest dealership is miles away, but to actively try to persuade owners to pay a subscription in order save dealerships having to carry out the work seems wrong. I am not a Porsche technician and I want the work carried out competently and free of charge like it’s supposed to be.

Skipper
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

skipper wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:44 pm Thanks Nick,

I have read previous posts, some of them quite old now, but I formed the opinion that even trying to download updates oneself was fraught with a lot of uncertainty and disappointment. This being the case I have no desire to pay for Porsche Connect, something I have managed without for three years, only to be disappointed with the result, or worse still, mess up the system.

It seems lazy from Porsche’s point of view that owners are told to do it themselves. What if Porsche took that attitude to carrying out servicing? It’s nice to let people try to do things themselves especially if the nearest dealership is miles away, but to actively try to persuade owners to pay a subscription in order save dealerships having to carry out the work seems wrong. I am not a Porsche technician and I want the work carried out competently and free of charge like it’s supposed to be.

Skipper
This was my experience in May 2019 and as detailed earlier in this same topic thread:

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

There are 2021 maps available - I have a connect subscription and have downloaded the three regions that are you allowed to download per update. When I asked Porsche (Germany) they said they limited it to three to prevent people from using all their data - I suggested that should be my decision but they haven’t changed it. They did say that I could have a dealer update all the maps FOC whilst I had a Connect subscription. BUT, if you update just one map the map version says 2021 so when I last asked the dealer told me I already had the latest maps - which was true for Southern England but not true for the 20 odd other regions.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
skipper

Post by skipper »

Charles, you said that you could have updates FOC as long as you had a PC subscription. I thought updates were free to everyone as long as you were inside the warranty period regardless of whether you had a PC subscription.

Thanks,

Skipper
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

You may be right Skipper, my circumstances at the time were that I was both in warranty and had a (free) subscription from the original purchase so the answer was in that content.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
skipper

Post by skipper »

Today I received a reply from my local dealership which is Hull. They tell me that after talking to Porsche Customer Services they are unaware of any updates. I should add that they know my version is 2017/18 and are telling me that Porsche is unaware of the 2019 version or any subsequent ones.

In addition they tell me that Hull is not signed up to do updates free of charge and have quoted me £140 for an update that according to them doesn’t exist.

They suggest that I either subscribe to Porsche Connect (which I don’t want to do) or try somewhere else. I am now in touch with Hatfield which is where I bought the car from originally.

My journey to obtain my free upgrade has just begun it seems.

I wonder if the warranty renewal will be worth it after this.

Skipper
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Skipper,

I would be interested in how you get on with your update as my OPC is Hull!
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Could someone please post the procedure for finding out what PCM and software is installed on my car, I am struggling to find this. Thank you in advance.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.