Bose vs Burmester

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Hope that 10 hrs is driving and not just sat on the drive away from the rest of the household 🤣 I understand that some people do appreciate the clarity of sound much more than others so it is personal choice at the end of the day. I recall back in the 90s when we would spend a few hundred on a decent home sound system, however my wife's brother spent 3 k on one, speaker cables inch thick, the sound picked out noise in the background that you wouldn't normally hear as the clarity was so good. Would I pay that, certainly not but it didn't stop him and probably many other buying them too so good luck and enjoy!

Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

I like my music and if I'm spending circa £65K on the S I don;t want that feeling I should have gone for the Burmester. It is another £2.5k on top of the Bose :shock: I could add Air and ACC for less, but the answer is to find a Macan that has the Burmester in it. The longer you play with the confuserator the more the £££ go up. Porsche have got us by the short and curlies. £38 to add a bit of plastic for the smokers package, £300+ to have sports wing mirrors etc etc. Sigh
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

I have spent two hours at the OPC listening to the sound systems of Bose and Burmester, to make my own mind up.

Of course this is all down to want you like and want. Everyone has their views from standard is fine, Bose is good/bad and Burmester is not worth it to worth every penny.

My 2p worth....Bose is OK, not as good as Harmon Kardon in a BMW, the Bose system sounds good until the volume goes up and the bass becomes poor/muffly. The definition in the speakers at a reasonably high volume is average at best. So, while I thought I could live with that I then sat in a Burmester clad unit...................absolutely different, we tried classical to rock and that was it. I said to the SE, thanks, that's it sold.

The thing is, if I went for Bose I would have this niggle in the back of my mind for a car I want they way I want.

If you enjoy your music and like quality definition that does not suffer distortion, it's Burmester. The price....it's only money :shock:

I hope this helps anyone having the same conundrum.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Thanks. I have Bose but am not surprised, it is ‘ok’ at best. When there are three levels of audio offered it is not surprising that the top one is the one to provide a more audiophile experience.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Burmester is great, but a bit overkill if you only want to listen to a bit of R4.

We listen to loads of music at home and love high quality sound so Burm was one of the first boxes ticked; confirmed with a listen at the dealers.

I don't find it surprising that not every car is fitted with what would be a £5k (?) system. With a Porsche you have far more flexible option choices.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

The issue I have with speccing a Burmester is that every time you do this you basically give it away in the trade-in.

I've probably 'given away' about 7-8k worth of car hi-fi over the years.

Nowadays a Bose is my limit and I'll save the cash for hi-fi separates that I can take with me when I move house.

The best Burm will be the one you can pick up for free that someone else's specced.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

BigPhil wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am The issue I have with speccing a Burmester is that every time you do this you basically give it away in the trade-in.

I've probably 'given away' about 7-8k worth of car hi-fi over the years.

Nowadays a Bose is my limit and I'll save the cash for hi-fi separates that I can take with me when I move house.

The best Burm will be the one you can pick up for free that someone else's specced.
I'm hoping you'll have to wait 25 years for mine!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

I'm spec'ing the car that I want. I will enjoy it for the next 3-4 years. Life is short, enjoy what makes you happy. :)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Something to think about, is if you are listening to music from an MP3 device, the range of sound tends to be topped and tailed, bits of it have been edited off. This is to increase the capacity of music on the device. So although it sounds ok, with all the other noises happening in the vehicle, you will never be getting the full range.
Riomacan

Post by Riomacan »

Yes, Tidal do a lossless version which is top notch