Connect services

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
MacanS11

Post by MacanS11 »

Just got delivery of a Macan S. Fantastic drive and enjoying every minute.
But experiencing an issue with the connect services, I’ve done the registration at the ‘my Porsche’ section of the website and set up ID’s, however only 5 out of the 8 services are active.
In the car not all the apps are active and I keep getting an error message saying I need to accept general terms and conditions on the site - which I have.
Website says ‘activation in progress’.
I’m hearing from the dealer that remote services are normally activated if a tracker sub is taken, but I understood some are free for a period of time.
Anyone else experiencing something similar?
Appreciate any help or guidance forum members can give.
Last edited by MacanS11 on Wed May 08, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanB

Post by VanB »

I don’t think you are the only person who finds the black arts of Porsche Connect as difficult to decipher as ancient runes! It really is crap how it works and, now on my 3rd Porsche, I am still none the wiser!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MacanS11

Post by MacanS11 »

I agree VanB I’m either missing something really simple or Porsche really need to work on the user experience.
I’m normally quite good at such things but this has me baffled.
Aside from this, the first 500 miles have been ace.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum! :)

And congrats on the Macan!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

When I went to set mine up I was a bit confused but ...

There are two different things Porsche Connect and Porsche Car Connect.

Porsche Connect

Connect is used for the Navigation, Data packages and I registered through the My Porsche website (https://connect-portal.porsche.com/). I was given a pairing code which I used to link the car to the account. I couldn't access the Navigation or News service through the website until I had bought a data package. I did buy one for £29 which is no doubt a rip off but I wanted to test it out and will get another data SIM at some point. So now when I go to the My Porsche website I can access Navigation Plus (add destinations) and News channels.

Also now I have data I have set my car to be a wifi spot. I can use the Porsche Connect App to specify which music Apps I want to use and then you can see them displayed on the PCM Apps section. I use it for Amazon Music, when my phone is connected to the car's wifi and the Porsche Connect app is open Amazon music appears in the Apps section of the PCM and I can stream music through the car's data sim.

I think you will need data for live reporting of traffic information on the Navigation system, however shouldn't need it for general use. Using the Porsche Connect App allows you to see where your car is on a map and you can set Navigation locations on your phone which then sync to the car when the it is connected.

Porsche Car Connect

This is different, you register for it through the Vodafone telephonics website (https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/ ... welcome.do)
You use this to set up the tracker subscription, I am going to do this and have registered an account. I've got an installation code but this needs to be entered by the OPC into the car so I'll be doing that sometime this week. Once that is set up I assume you can access the Porsche Car Connect app, manage subscriptions e.t.c. I'll let you know!

It would be so much easier if they called them completely different things!!
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
MacanS11

Post by MacanS11 »

Hey Sal, great. Sounds like buying a data package might be the way forward.
I decided against the tracker as it made no difference to my insurance. Be interested to hear what motivations you have for the tracker?

Thanks again for your help. Will report back.

Congratulations on your Macan.
VG was my preferred colour but I couldn’t wait and went for Jet black which was arriving earlier.
pmg

Post by pmg »

MrsMacan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm When I went to set mine up I was a bit confused but ...

There are two different things Porsche Connect and Porsche Car Connect.

Porsche Connect

I think you will need data for live reporting of traffic information on the Navigation system, however shouldn't need it for general use. Using the Porsche Connect App allows you to see where your car is on a map and you can set Navigation locations on your phone which then sync to the car when the it is connected.

[quote)

You do not need a data package for live navigation as that is covered by the Navigation Plus part of the connect package which is now included for the first two years and still needs such a subscription thereafter. The data packages just provide additional streaming ie for music services and wifi hotspot. You can set the vehicle via device management so that an attached phones' sim and its contract is used for those streaming additions rather than a data package or separate sim inserted in centre storage box slot. Certainly, a separate sim or competitive unlimited data package on phone is cheaper than buying a Porsche data package.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

[quote)

You do not need a data package for live navigation as that is covered by the Navigation Plus part of the connect package which is now included for the first two years and still needs such a subscription thereafter. The data packages just provide additional streaming ie for music services and wifi hotspot. You can set the vehicle via device management so that an attached phones' sim and its contract is used for those streaming additions rather than a data package or separate sim inserted in centre storage box slot. Certainly, a separate sim or competitive unlimited data package on phone is cheaper than buying a Porsche data package.
[/quote]

Oh good to know, I really wanted to use Amazon music through the car not my phone's data package which is why I went ahead and got that. Will definitely be looking to change to another provider though.

MacanS11, which apps are you finding unavailable in the PCM? Maybe it's not the lack of data package. :?
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
MacanS11

Post by MacanS11 »

Can’t get Nav Plus, News, Weather.
Nav Plus - real time traffic is the most important.
I’ve attached some screenshots of what I’m seeing on the website, if it helps explain.

F43D50EA-9B3C-4FB3-A904-01E9C8ADA0E6.png

AFC08FCD-D198-479B-BBFF-B2F9BB2A33F6.png

84643D3C-F69C-4405-BA55-6AE9463395FD.png

pmg

Post by pmg »

MrsMacan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 pm [quote)

Oh good to know, I really wanted to use Amazon music through the car not my phone's data package which is why I went ahead and got that. Will definitely be looking to change to another provider though.

MacanS11, which apps are you finding unavailable in the PCM? Maybe it's not the lack of data package. :?
[/quote]

I came from BMW where both equivalent apps "talk to the car over the phone network. With my new Macan that is only true of the "Connect"app. "Car Connect" app connects to the cars wifi hot spot irrespective of whether that is connected to the internet via a sim or data package. Mine is not .When i connected the phone to the cars "wifi" more apps showed and I was also available to send locations from the phone to the car for the Nav system to use.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8