Connect services

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

DieselE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 pm Live traffic info is free - both RTTI and Google. Map updates certainly have a value though.
I thought that the integration of real time traffic into the Nav function was part of the Navigation & Infotainment package - which is chargeable after year 2?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

These are the 14 connect services that were available on my Macan Turbo (MY2017) with a subscription fee.
You can view / configure these in My Porsche portal on the computer / iPad (web based).

Connect Services.JPG

Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

There now seem to be only 8. Maybe some have been bundled together.

I would describe Porsche Connect as a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma!

21A6D127-FC0B-4FC8-85F0-D20B1984062F.png

Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

[/quote]

I thought that the integration of real time traffic into the Nav function was part of the Navigation & Infotainment package - which is chargeable after year 2?
[/quote]

They MUST be charging us, quite reasonably, for the data usage and paying a split to the network for this as RTTI is cellular based and could well have a cost for the people who generate it (un-Googlable...!). But to say they 'give' you all the free services like Google Maps, Google Earth and Twitter etc just makes me suspicious. And they should let me continue to use my £40 50Gb data SIM rather than remotely brick my head unit - very big brother!

Will update once Porsche have got back to me, but this research suggests its actually a cost for a data connection and maybe a cut for a low cost RTTI service.
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Yes, possibly they joined up the map updates, Google Earth, portal POI's, etc in the Navigation Plus app. :)
Most people probably do not use the My Porsche portal much and instead use the Porsche Connect app on their phones.

On top of all the confusion, the services subscription is linked to the particular car only, you cannot transfer it to your name / account and then to your next Porsche car if you change cars.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
VanB

Post by VanB »

IMO Porsche Connect is one of the most ill-conceived, badly implemented data products on the market anywhere. It is obscure to use, often doesnt work and ridiculously expensive for what it gives you. When my service expires I will simply revert to all things car play which, as I understand it, can be delivered via my phone's data connection.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

I had Porsche's response. Yes they have bricked my head unit remotely as it can no longer use the data SIM I have installed, and which worked fine till end year 2. What an absolute racket - trying to charge people to connect to the internet via hardware they own.

Having paid them handsomely for my Macan (which makes them a HUGE profit) INCLUDING the head unit that cam,e with it, I find this greed inexcusable. I'm now using Waze on my Android phone for Nav and not my lovely integrated big screen head unit. I shan't rant further. :twisted:
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

MrsMacan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm When I went to set mine up I was a bit confused but ...

There are two different things Porsche Connect and Porsche Car Connect.

Porsche Connect

Connect is used for the Navigation, Data packages and I registered through the My Porsche website ([url]https://connect-portal.porsche.com/[/url]). I was given a pairing code which I used to link the car to the account. I couldn't access the Navigation or News service through the website until I had bought a data package. I did buy one for £29 which is no doubt a rip off but I wanted to test it out and will get another data SIM at some point. So now when I go to the My Porsche website I can access Navigation Plus (add destinations) and News channels.

Also now I have data I have set my car to be a wifi spot. I can use the Porsche Connect App to specify which music Apps I want to use and then you can see them displayed on the PCM Apps section. I use it for Amazon Music, when my phone is connected to the car's wifi and the Porsche Connect app is open Amazon music appears in the Apps section of the PCM and I can stream music through the car's data sim.

I think you will need data for live reporting of traffic information on the Navigation system, however shouldn't need it for general use. Using the Porsche Connect App allows you to see where your car is on a map and you can set Navigation locations on your phone which then sync to the car when the it is connected.

Porsche Car Connect

This is different, you register for it through the Vodafone telephonics website ([url]https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/public/welcome.do[/url])
You use this to set up the tracker subscription, I am going to do this and have registered an account. I've got an installation code but this needs to be entered by the OPC into the car so I'll be doing that sometime this week. Once that is set up I assume you can access the Porsche Car Connect app, manage subscriptions e.t.c. I'll let you know!

It would be so much easier if they called them completely different things!!
I'm very confused too. I've bought a used Macan GTS, Jan 17 reg, signed up at MyPorsche and got 2 years Porsche Connect for free. Any ideas why? I've since used it with a dash SIM to download and upgrade the maps.

I was curious about Porsche Car Connect but the dealer wanted circa £90 to give me the code to enable it so I didn't bother

Would be interesting to hear who has had what for each of the services

Thanks.........
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

[quote=Madelvic

I'm very confused too. I've bought a used Macan GTS, Jan 17 reg, signed up at MyPorsche and got 2 years Porsche Connect for free. Any ideas why?

Thanks.........
[/quote]

Previous owner never registered service? Seen similar with BMW's
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

" I couldn't access the Navigation or News service through the website until I had bought a data package. I did buy one for £29 which is no doubt a rip off but I wanted to test it out and will get another data SIM at some point. "

I don't think they let you use your own data connection for your own hardware. You MUST purchase theirs. I no longer have Google search on my nav despite having a data SIM in the dash slot. Great.
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i