Connect services

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
MacanS11

Post by MacanS11 »

Update for those interested. Following calls to support I was informed this was a known issue that is caused by the website not communicating to the server. Logged a support ticket and didn’t hear anything.
However used the car this weekend and all’s sorted and working. Guess they got round to fixing the glitch, would’ve been nice to have been told.
Thanks for the all the suggestions and advice.

DieselE

Post by DieselE »

First I was baffled and then I was fuming! Its an absolute mess this system and now they have bricked my online services remotely as they would like me to pay them money to access free services using my bought and paid for hardware!

Cut a long story short after 6 months they deactivated the previous owner and so things started working. I found the Car Connect pretty useless (wouldn't even unlock the car) so declined that after the free trial. I then added an EE SIM with 50Gb on it and an 18 month lifespan. Life was good. But when the car was 2 years old they disabled this remotely and now want money from me. Something of the Dick Turpin about this as imagine if Apple or Samsung wanted money from you for being allowed to connect your paid for hardware to the free RTTI or free Google search facilities. Absolutely stinks.

I called Porsche to complain today and to verify that they weren't charging for data (as I have or rather HAD data till they blocked it). They say its for the service and not for the data. I dont SEE any service as connecting to the web has NO CHARGE and I paid for and own the b hardware...

I'll keep you posted, once I have calmed down that they bricked my head unit remotely!
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

DieselE wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:31 pm First I was baffled and then I was fuming! Its an absolute mess this system and now they have bricked my online services remotely as they would like me to pay them money to access free services using my bought and paid for hardware!

Cut a long story short after 6 months they deactivated the previous owner and so things started working. I found the Car Connect pretty useless (wouldn't even unlock the car) so declined that after the free trial. I then added an EE SIM with 50Gb on it and an 18 month lifespan. Life was good. But when the car was 2 years old they disabled this remotely and now want money from me. Something of the Dick Turpin about this as imagine if Apple or Samsung wanted money from you for being allowed to connect your paid for hardware to the free RTTI or free Google search facilities. Absolutely stinks.

I called Porsche to complain today and to verify that they weren't charging for data (as I have or rather HAD data till they blocked it). They say its for the service and not for the data. I dont SEE any service as connecting to the web has NO CHARGE and I paid for and own the b hardware...

I'll keep you posted, once I have calmed down that they bricked my head unit remotely!
Sadly, the Porsche connect service, ie. the various apps like Google search, List of Personal Points of interest, send destinations to the car from Google maps, etc. are only free for 2 (or3??) years, when the car is new. After that it's £120 a year if you want to use any of those apps displayed on PCM.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

Yes - they worked for 2 years (well 1 for me as I was the second owner).

What exactly are we paying for do you think? Is it me or is it like Samsung or Apple demanding payment to use Goggle maps on a device you bought? Is that not a fair analogy?

I'll NEVER pay it as I can just use Google Maps on my phone, but it leaves a very bad taste. :|
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

There are 17 services / apps, if I remember correctly. Like petrol prices near you, weather, news, being able to send a destination to the car from Google maps on the computer, list of favourite points of interest, etc.

If you don't think you'd be using these, then I guess don't pay for the Connect Services. You can use your phone and Car Play instead as you say.
I find the ability to send destinations to the car useful, and also the Google search.

I agree that it's all a bit confusing and convoluted. :lol: Not sure if other manufacturers charge for these.
Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

I can send a PC Google map search to the Bimnmer - free! Have given up trying to get it to work on the Porsche by now mind :( RTTI is free on the Aston like on most cars... . Not sure any of this stuff is worth £120 a year! These arent Porsche sites or services are they? Are they not just levering them and gouging their customers? I'd love to be shown otherwise :)
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nothing is free in Porsche family, sadly. But they do make good driver's cars. ;)
Our stable:
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Semerka wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 pm Nothing is free in Porsche family, sadly. But they do make good driver's cars. ;)
I believe you also get live traffic information and (I think) free map version updates (via internet) as part of the Nav & Infotainment package (free for the first 2 years).
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
DieselE

Post by DieselE »

Live traffic info is free - both RTTI and Google. Map updates certainly have a value though.

Is all this of less consequence if one has Apple Car Play? Can you just use Google maps 'free' on the big display if so. I have Android but am not changing my phone mind!
Macan Turbo PP
Rapide
M235i
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Good point on the maps update over internet (but only 2 regions every 6 months or so).

Yes, I believe that you can use Apple Car Play and their authorised apps on the PCM screen without paying for Porsche Connect Services. Don’t think the cars have Android version of Car Play though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable: