WiFi hotspot - please explain

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:08 am
pmg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 am There are many options for supplying the data internet feed for the wifi hot spot, the above answers only appear to talk about the one the particular individual uses.

1) Cars own sim buy data allowance
2) Provide your sim fitted in centre glovebox
3) use the data allowance of a connected phone

All this is controlled in the device manager. You can set what each sim and "phone" is used for. I know however that on my "3" phone contract even though it has unlimited data their is a limit on the amount that can be used like this by a connected device i.e. the car; 3 call such "tethering". I did set the car up temporarily so the wifi hot spot used it but at present have connected everything back to car sim as no need for wifi hot spot other than connecting the phone to the car for Porsche car connect app which for connection does not use external data.

One of the reasons I changed it back was that device manager only appeared to allow on an external data feed, i.e when I set the wifi hot spot to use my phone sim, the in-car sim was not shown as active and I assume the nav traffic feed was also using the phone sim. As using the car sim for this is initially free I thought I would change it back
I'd like to see a photo of your SIM slot in your centre glovebox.
Easily done. I am talking about a Macan 2 car. this is a topic with a history in the Macan and probably all replies should state whether Macan 1 or Macan 2 and probably also state model year especially for Macan 1 which may also need detail re whether Connect fitted as an option for some years

[media]https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... xrTIFYENeG[/media]
Appreciate that. The principles of connecting remain the same of course although it emphasises the fact that the first place to look for this sort of information is the manual, followed by the Porsche Connect help pages. Lots of relevant stuff in the FAQs.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

adam b wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:21 pm Yes my car had Connect+

Presume those screenshots are the phone app?

What’s it called please?
The images are from the Porsche website that I captured on my iPad to be able to post them here.

BTW
There is a My Porsche portal that you should be able to set up and access, that will give you details of your account and the available services.

If you have difficulties contact the OPC and they will be able to help.

It may be very helpful to you if you can arrange a session with an OPC Tech to go through the IT systems in your Macan, worth paying for 1/2 labour costs unless you can negotiate a freebie session.

There is another App called PCM Connect that will be useful.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
adam b

Post by adam b »

Good advice thanks
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
adam b

Post by adam b »

So my wifi hotspot is still connecting to my mobile but no data services work on the phone.

I assume this is because the data allowance of the SIM card (that the prior owner left in the SIM slot behind the flap under PCM) is now dead or out of data allowance.

So a few questions please:

1. Is there a way I can see how much data allowance is remaining via the PCM?

2. I need to buy a replacement, something with 12gb but with no monthly expiry as I will probably use 2gb/month max. Something like this I imagine : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392305633696?ul_noapp=true
but most adverts talk about calls/text allowance lasting 30 days only, does this apply to data allowance too?

3. Can you buy PAYG data SIMs with only data allowance, ie without calls/texts (which I will never use)?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I bought this for Mrs P’s Audi - prices go up and down.....

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
adam b

Post by adam b »

Perfect - exactly what I need, thanks

Assume I just plug this in to the car - no need to configure anything or contact 3 ?

(sorry never used PAYG phones or SIMS before)
Paul

Post by Paul »

adam b wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:58 pm Perfect - exactly what I need, thanks

Assume I just plug this in to the car - no need to configure anything or contact 3 ?

(sorry never used PAYG phones or SIMS before)
I think I had to register it with 3 from memory - that way you can also check on your usage...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
adam b

Post by adam b »

Well I took an eBay risk on one so will definitely be calling 3 immediately on arrival to check it’s legit and had the full 24gb loaded:

https://ebay.us/9QAR1W
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I’m using the same. Sim was in my Audi. Bought a Macan GTS 2 weeks ago, a 17 plate and transferred the SIM

I’ve got all the online services working. Requested it online and delighted to get 2 years from Porsche for nowt.

Even better (and it took all evening) I’ve managed to upgrade the satnav maps using the SIM
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Clossie

Post by Clossie »

Bringing an old topic back to life if I can.
As I understand it, to send a route from the connect app to my pcm, I need to be on the same WiFi as the PCM. But this infers I have to get into the car, start it, wait for pcm to boot
Up and create the WiFi, wait for my phone to connect and then the route can be shared using the “send to car” option in the explore page..
But—what a palava.
Am I missing something ?
Why can I not complete the route and send it whilst in my lounge or pub, or anywhere other than my car...
Btw I’m on a stand alone 3 sim with plenty of data.
Cheers