WiFi hotspot - please explain

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
adam b

Post by adam b »

So I didn’t think I was a complete tech numpty but my new Turbo has stuff I have never used before

Synced my phone up with the WiFi so now how does this work?

I assume it takes my 4G signal from the phone and turns it into a WiFi spot that others can use in the car.

Does it amplify the 4G signal?
I have limited data on my phone contract (4gb per month) so if passengers connect to the WiFi spot is everyone using my data allowance?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I thought it was the other way around. That the car has a data sim and that connects to the www. The option isn’t in mine, sorry.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The WiFi hotspot that can be created within the Macan is there so that passengers can connect to it and browse the Internet.

The inbuilt signal booster in the car is supposed to give a stronger faster connection than just using 3G/4G on a mobile.

Do remember that the infotainment system inside a Macan is at least 5 years old so it is a bit old tech now.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Tom 2000 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:21 pm I thought it was the other way around. That the car has a data sim and that connects to the www. The option isn’t in mine, sorry.
Yes. The internal SIM creates the wifi hotspot, provided the subscription is paid up or in the initial free period. Devices connected to the car then use data via My Porsche, which is where you can see your data plan and usage.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
pmg

Post by pmg »

There are many options for supplying the data internet feed for the wifi hot spot, the above answers only appear to talk about the one the particular individual uses.

1) Cars own sim buy data allowance
2) Provide your sim fitted in centre glovebox
3) use the data allowance of a connected phone

All this is controlled in the device manager. You can set what each sim and "phone" is used for. I know however that on my "3" phone contract even though it has unlimited data their is a limit on the amount that can be used like this by a connected device i.e. the car; 3 call such "tethering". I did set the car up temporarily so the wifi hot spot used it but at present have connected everything back to car sim as no need for wifi hot spot other than connecting the phone to the car for Porsche car connect app which for connection does not use external data.

One of the reasons I changed it back was that device manager only appeared to allow on an external data feed, i.e when I set the wifi hot spot to use my phone sim, the in-car sim was not shown as active and I assume the nav traffic feed was also using the phone sim. As using the car sim for this is initially free I thought I would change it back
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 am There are many options for supplying the data internet feed for the wifi hot spot, the above answers only appear to talk about the one the particular individual uses.

All this is controlled in the device manager. You can set what each sim and "phone" is used for. I know however that on my "3" phone contract even though it has unlimited data their is a limit on the amount that can be used like this by a connected device i.e. the car; 3 call such "tethering". I did set the car up temporarily so the wifi hot spot used it but at present have connected everything back to car sim as no need for wifi hot spot other than connecting the phone to the car for Porsche car connect app which for connection does not use external data.

One of the reasons I changed it back was that device manager only appeared to allow on an external data feed, i.e when I set the wifi hot spot to use my phone sim, the in-car sim was not shown as active and I assume the nav traffic feed was also using the phone sim. As using the car sim for this is initially free I thought I would change it back
I'd like to see a photo of your SIM slot in your centre glovebox.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
adam b

Post by adam b »

Thanks all

Col said previously the car has an internal SIM that is free for two years and then £120 per year subscription. My car is April 2017 so that should have expired.

The previous owner may have paid for an additional year I guess, there is also a SIM card behind the central flap. Have asked him about both but no reply yet.

Looks like I need to investigate “device manager”
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:08 am
pmg wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 am There are many options for supplying the data internet feed for the wifi hot spot, the above answers only appear to talk about the one the particular individual uses.

I'd like to see a photo of your SIM slot in your centre glovebox.
Easily done. I am talking about a Macan 2 car. this is a topic with a history in the Macan and probably all replies should state whether Macan 1 or Macan 2 and probably also state model year especially for Macan 1 which may also need detail re whether Connect fitted as an option for some years

[media]https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... xrTIFYENeG[/media]
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The inbuilt Porsche supplied SIM provides the following

1B286B44-6BDB-42AB-9051-F0911477AF15.png

After the free period it is £119 per year.

The Porsche website does state that there is the ability to add a Data SIM, I presume that all they do is charge an arm and a leg to add Data hence probably your own SIM is the best bet.

Hence WiFi is available via the owner supplied Data SIM (or via own mobile) but only if Connect+ is included in the car

E49F8D4B-7CFA-4284-8C78-CC5619EEE93D.png

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
adam b

Post by adam b »

Yes my car had Connect+

Have confirmed the data is coming from the SIM

Presume those screenshots are the phone app?

What’s it called please?
Last edited by adam b on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.