iPhone XR not charging properly ?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Hi all,

I have an odd problem and was hoping someone may be able to help. When I plug in my phone (iPhone XR), it connects to the car (“iPod connected”) and starts to charge.

But then after a few seconds, the one disconnects and stops charging. It then connects and starts charging after 20-30s before stopping again. And this pattern just repeats.

Anyone else have similar issues ?

Strangely, my wife’s phone (iPhone X) is fine.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Whose make of charging lead are you using?

If it is an eBay or Amazon copy of a genuine Apple lead that may well be the problem.

It is a manufacturing problem of the lead not being as accurate as Apples own hence why its just your iPhone that has the problem.

You can also try connecting to the USB sockets that are in the rear of the centre console where the passengers sit as these outlets are just charger points.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Yup, believe it is a genuine lead, hence why I was confused.

May try a brand new one that I have, in case that helps. Else may need to get Porsche to look at the PCM unit ?
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Scaramanga wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 am Hi all,

I have an odd problem and was hoping someone may be able to help. When I plug in my phone (iPhone XR), it connects to the car (“iPod connected”) and starts to charge.

But then after a few seconds, the one disconnects and stops charging. It then connects and starts charging after 20-30s before stopping again. And this pattern just repeats.

I had that. Not sure if it fixed but I have dug a significant amount of crap out of the lightening socket of the phone.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Had same problem last weekend. iPhone would not charge from armrest USB port but would charge from rear usb. Used genuine apple lightning cable.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I had something similar last year. iPhone 8+ in my case. Phone would connect, CarPlay not initiate then disconnect then reconnect and loop.
Husband’s iPad connected/charged ok.

Tried two cables, one of which was a new Apple one.

Problem went away after car had been parked/powered down for a bit. Haven’t seen the problem return.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Tom 2000 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:02 pm

I had that. Not sure if it fixed but I have dug a significant amount of crap out of the lightening socket of the phone.
I can confirm that cleaning the Lightning Port on phone with a little stiff wire did the trick.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:02 pm

I can confirm that cleaning the Lightning Port on phone with a little stiff wire did the trick.
I'd be using a wooden toothpick instead of metal! A few years ago I had a 6 that wouldn't charge when plugged in. My friend's son got hold of it and extracted all the fluff from the socket and it worked perfectly after that. I now do all our phones every 6 months or so.
Macan S D
718 S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Mine has worked well after the rummage in the Lightening Port. However today it started to play up again despite there being no obvious crap in there and a good snappy physical connection. Not only that the car kept jumping out of Bluetooth and going to jukebox despite having no files there. I had to listen to the radio. PITA.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

This is still not working properly. The car and phone seem to attempt a connection every minute or so but after a few seconds one boots the other out. I think it’s a software issue.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)