Kufatec Speed Limit Indicator Retrofit

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

After I baught my Macan S Diesel I wanted to retrofit the speed limit indicator.
Two years ago I asked at my local Porsche Center if they can do that. The answer was: no, since in my car there is no high resolution camera installed.

Last month I found the products of company Kufatec, located in Germany.
They offer a dongle with which gains to activate the speed limit indicator. See this link.

I contacted their support, told them my VIN and asked them if this would work for my car.
They confirmed that a highres camera is built into my car because of PDLS+ and lane keep assist.

So I ordered the product, dared to install it and ... IT WORKS :lol:
I am really happy.

Kufatec also offers a dongle with which you can disable start/stop and retrofit of backup camera.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Interesting. I presume that you just connect it for long enough to download the settings and then the car retains them (rather than leaving it connected to the OBDII??)

If the former, it must also be VIN-specific code, otherwise you could simply sell your OBD 'dongle' on to another forum member!
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Guy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:32 pm Interesting. I presume that you just connect it for long enough to download the settings and then the car retains them (rather than leaving it connected to the OBDII??)
Exactly, a led indicates when programming has finished, then you can disconnect. Programming takes about 15 seconds, after that you have to switch ignition off and lock the car for 15 minutes (shut down control units). After that it works. Correspoding menu structure of the board computer is changed, behaves just as described in the Macan manual.

I guess that they store the VIN at the device so that it cannot be reused.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have lane keeping assist and PDLS+ as well as active cruise, so I would assume this will work on mine also. Its one of the few options my car is missing.

Thanks for the info.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Does this give you the speed limits in the Right hand dial/display? I noticed today that I have speed limits shown on the map of the touch screen, I assume this isn’t the same thing?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Kleynie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:48 pm Does this give you the speed limits in the Right hand dial/display? I noticed today that I have speed limits shown on the map of the touch screen, I assume this isn’t the same thing?
Yes, once installed, you can configure speed limits to be shown in the little dial/display as an overlay. The limits in the large screen then are not displayed any more. What you see currently are "just" the limits stored in the map data.
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Always good to get a really useful tip from this forum!

I asked my OPC (Tonbridge) if they would retrofit the speed limit indicator to my MY2018 Macan S and they also said it couldn't be done after delivery. My car has all the relevant cameras installed. Then I heard about Kufatec in this thread.

The cost was a couple of hundred EUR and the dongle arrived in less than a week.

The installation took about 30sec, followed by a 20 minute wait as instructed with the doors locked.

Bingo - worked first time and hopefully will keep me from getting another ticket due to not paying sufficient attention to temporary speed limits on the French autoroutes. The beauty of this gizmo is that it actually reads the roadside signs (including the temporary ones).

Many thanks to the OP!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Yes, I also purchased the dongle from Kufatec and it worked perfectly.
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

Do we think they are on time use? Or could we buy your ones from you guys who i assume now have no use for them? :)

Second question, do they work on the facelift Macan?
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)
adam b

Post by adam b »

NSinc wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 am Do we think they are on time use? Or could we buy your ones from you guys who i assume now have no use for them? :)
see above - its VIN specific (if they are smart enough to make this product they are smart enough to protect it) ;)

annoying it costs £250 when my first owner could have added it for £75 but I might get one
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)