Receiving Emails and WhatsApp messages with PCM

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I discovered a way how to read Emails and WhatsApp messages with the PCM (without having Connect or Apple CarPlay).

If your PCM system is able to receive SMS then this will work also for you:

The phone is communicating over Bluetooth MAP Api with the car. The only thing you need is an App on your phone that forwards new Emails and WhatsApp messages to this API as if they were SMS messages.

In Android you can use the App "Notification Forwarder Pro".

I can now beside SMS receive all Emails and WhatsApp messages, using voice control PCM also reads the messages.

Great thing, maybe some of you find that useful.

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I have just downloaded this app to my android phone but to proceed, it is telling me that by using this app, it will change the way I can send and receive SMS and other things and may limit my ability to do stuff via SMS/email

This is a work phone and I rely on it for work emails so do not want to change any of the settings and mess things up

Any further advice now you are using this

I can however already send and receive SMS using PCM functions via a Bluetooth connection but not able to see emails or WhatsApp. I do have connect and connect plus in my 2017 Cayman
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

gtipirelli wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:26 pm I have just downloaded this app to my android phone but to proceed, it is telling me that by using this app, it will change the way I can send and receive SMS and other things and may limit my ability to do stuff via SMS/email

This is a work phone and I rely on it for work emails so do not want to change any of the settings and mess things up
For me everything works as usual. Just default app for SMS does change from default to the Forwarder app.

The app does not interfere wit yout email account, it just takes android notifications and forwards them to the bluetooth connection. It is the same approach that smartwatches use to display messages.

Of course if you have security concerns because of your company email account you should not use it.

I use it for my business emails without any fear.
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Ok that’s handy to know thanks, I will have a play with it and see what happens
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Monie

Post by Monie »

This application is not available on iOS. Is there any other way to use it on an iPhone? Aero WhatsAppAny suggestions?
dukar

Post by dukar »

Monie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:18 am This application is not available on iOS. Is there any other way to use it on an iPhone? FMWhatsAppAny suggestions?
If you need to manage multiple WhatsApp accounts, you can use WhatsApp Business, which allows you to have a separate business account alongside your personal WhatsApp account on the same iPhone.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That last thing on earth that I want to do in car is go online to What’s Up or whatever the spawn of the devil is called, same with any other social media.

There is NOTHING more important when you are behind the wheel of your Macan than enjoying a safe drive free from interruptions or distractions.

Life is too short to be ruled by eMails, Social Media and soddin Influencers.

Your life is a one shot, put the mobile away and live.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:36 pm That last thing on earth that I want to do in car is go online to What’s Up or whatever the spawn of the devil is called, same with any other social media.

There is NOTHING more important when you are behind the wheel of your Macan than enjoying a safe drive free from interruptions or distractions.

Well said!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

cowdray2 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:53 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:36 pm That last thing on earth that I want to do in car is go online to What’s Up or whatever the spawn of the devil is called, same with any other social media.

Well said!
+1
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
levitaylor

Post by levitaylor »

mschaffl wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:52 am I discovered a way how to read Emails and WhatsApp messages with the PCM (without having Connect or Apple CarPlay).

If your PCM system is able to receive SMS then this will work also for you:

The phone is communicating over Bluetooth MAP Api with the car. The only thing you need is an App on your phone that forwards new Emails and WhatsApp messages to this API as if they were SMS messages.

In Android you can use the App "Notification Forwarder Pro".

I can now beside SMS receive all Emails and WhatsApp messages, using voice control PCM also reads the messages.

Great thing, maybe some of you find that useful.
That's a fantastic discovery!

Could you share more details on how to set up the notification forwarder pro app to work seamlessly with pcm for reading Emails and whatsapp messages?

Many would love to try this out.
Levi TaylorGB WhatsApp