Heated Windscreen

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Col M

Post by Col M »

andreas wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Fusion1966 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 pm So basically it’s the de-mist button!

It would be interesting to know how much faster it is compared to standard, probably not much I’d imagine
I have a Land Rover with heated windscreen. It's very quick and effective. However, I find that sunlight reflections on the tiny filaments in the screen can be visually distracting.
VW group version is wire free. I believe it uses a transparent layer of silver.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

andreas wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Fusion1966 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:02 pm So basically it’s the de-mist button!

It would be interesting to know how much faster it is compared to standard, probably not much I’d imagine
I have a Land Rover with heated windscreen. It's very quick and effective. However, I find that sunlight reflections on the tiny filaments in the screen can be visually distracting.
When we ordered our new car we were told not to bother as it was nothing like as effective as the JLR/ford option which I assume was patented
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
RAA

Post by RAA »

In the new 2019 Macan (I have had the S model since May), the heated windscreen has a clear layer of gel, in-between two layers of glass. When the windscreen defrost/mist button is pressed, the gel heats up to melt outside frost/ice/snow, and the inside of the windscreen is blasted with dry (air-con) air to demist the condensation on the inside. A double whamee !

So, NO filaments: windscreen clear in sunlight.

Haven't had a chance to test it against frost or ice yet, but it works wonders on the inside condensation.

Bob (Surrey)
Fusion1966

Post by Fusion1966 »

all good info and should have been in the manual really.

I also found out that when you press the rear de-mist button this also turns on the heated wing mirrors. Again this has always been a separate button in other cars I've owned. Not like Porsche to miss the chance to add more buttons!
Macan S delivered 2nd Sept 19: http://www.porsche-code.com/PKNURCB9
happy days

Post by happy days »

Fusion1966 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:57 am
I also found out that when you press the rear de-mist button this also turns on the heated wing mirrors. Again this has always been a separate button in other cars I've owned. Not like Porsche to miss the chance to add more buttons!
Really? I wonder what sort of car? All my cars have had the heated mirrors (if fitted) coming on with the HRW.
Macan S D
718 S
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

My Golf VI has a separate control to heat the wing mirrors. Much better than a combined button and used regularly through the winter when rear screen defrost not required.

Surprised Porsche didn't follow suit.

Paul
Last edited by paulmac on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
happy days

Post by happy days »

paulmac wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 pm My Golf VI has a separate control to heat the wing mirrors. Much better than a combined button. Surprised didn't follow suit.

Paul
I had about 10 golfs in a row from the Mk II onwards to the Mk VII - they all had heated mirrors activated by the HRW switch.
Macan S D
718 S
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

In my Golf VI I use the following control to simply heat the wing mirrors alone. I don't have folding mirrors so the straight up position is only used for the heating option.

VWwingmirror.JPG

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I vaguely remember they on my Mrs old Audi’s TT
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
happy days

Post by happy days »

paulmac wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm In my Golf VI I use the following control to simply heat the wing mirrors alone. I don't have folding mirrors so the straight up position is only used for the heating option.

VWwingmirror.JPG

Paul
Yes, that's it. But you only activate the heating when you press the switch for the HRW. If you rotate the switch to the top, it does not activate the mirror heating; however if you rotate it to any other position than up top, the mirrors will not heat. Once I set the mirrors originally upon buying the car, I rotated the switch to the top and forgot about it.
Macan S D
718 S