Roof Rack without roof rails?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
tetsuto

Post by tetsuto »

Hi all,

Currently trying to get a used Macan and really struggling to find one with the right spec I want including roof rails.

Just wondering if anyone had used the Thule kit to carry a roof box/bikes without the factory fitted rails?

The foot needed at the moment seems sold out and the Thule site isn’t hugely helpful!

How did you find it? Good/bad experience?

We probably use it once or twice a year for longer trips to EU.

Any marks/issues afterwards?

Is it worth me holding out for one with roof rails?

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Can’t imagine it’s ever going to not damage the car. Wouldn’t be for me. Find a car with roof rails if you will need to fit a roof rack.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I understand Sea Suckers work really well if needed.

https://twitter.com/AutoPap/header_photo

---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
A1000

Post by A1000 »

Just fitted the Thule Slidebars and 598 bike rack to my Macan without roofbars. It's a heavyweight piece of kit but well engineered and tailored to the car which makes the installation a little time consuming. 4 boxes of bits required 4 lots of not great Instructions , and about 4 hrs to do from scratch. Removal and installation should be pretty quick with practice and so far impressed as not as noisy as I was expecting when in use.

The extension feet are rubber covered and the rubber pads are customised to the shape of the car and haven't seen any signs of issues yet but they are pretty heavy to install singlehanded.

I ended up shopping around and going to 3 different suppliers to get the 4 kits required but is did bring the price down considerably.

Hope this helps.