Scratches on the boot

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
tracyvn

Post by tracyvn »

Hello everyone,

I got my boot stuck to the cement loop when I reversed to the parking spot. I quickly went forward when i heard the sound and that caused multiple deep scratches on my boots as pictures. I think I can see the metal already... I'm devastated seeing the damages :(
Any suggestion of fixing it please? should I claim it with the insurance and get a new boot? :( would the new boot lid match the colour of the car??

car 1.jpg

car 2.jpg

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

It's horrifying when you see the results of a moment's inattention. Been there, done that, got the teeshirt :oops:

With most insurers you have seven days to make a claim. Use that time to take the car to a bodyshop (or your OPC) and get an estimate of the cost of fixing the damage. Based on the photo, you're looking at a repair to the boot rather than a replacement. Once you have an estimate you can decide (knowing the excess on your policy) whether to fund the repairs yourself or claim on the insurance.

Bear in mind that a claim will result in an increase in premiums (regardless of Protected NCB) for the next few years.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

As above that’s a respray job and not a replacement as the damage is minor. If you use a decent body shop there should be no issue with colour match but just make sure you are happy before parting with money or signing an acceptance. Checking in both daylight and under street lighting is worthwhile if you can.
tracyvn

Post by tracyvn »

Thank you both! I have contacted a Porsche nominated repair centre. Insurance excess is a LOT less than repaint cost ( for such a minor damage :shock: ). coz they have to do all the sanding, order new Porsche logo and stuff etc. So I guess I have to start a claim now.... such a pain knowing that the car no longer in its original condition :(
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

With a good body shop, and if approved it should be, you shouldn’t see any difference from new. Where the damage is would require a complete (below glass) boot repaint, if a facelift model they would have been able to just paint down to the separation of the light bar? Either way.. Expensive 😖
Last edited by MikeM on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

Sorry to see this, but chin up - we're only human and accidents will happen.

Ultimately, it's why we have fully comp insurance.

On the bright side, it's only a bit of metal and nobody was hurt. It's a sour taste in the mouth for a while but I know, from when I rubbed the front wing of my MX-5 against a garage wall years ago, you soon realise there are worse things that can happen.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jaffacake wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 am Sorry to see this, but chin up - we're only human and accidents will happen.

Ultimately, it's why we have fully comp insurance.

On the bright side, it's only a bit of metal and nobody was hurt. It's a sour taste in the mouth for a while but I know, from when I rubbed the front wing of my MX-5 against a garage wall years ago, you soon realise there are worse things that can happen.
😳 Did exactly the same with a MX-5 some years ago, just new it was a fault with the car. 😂😂 although it then only cost £150 for the repair 😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6