Steering wheel ‘diamond’ button assignment

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Having collected my 2020 model Macan S over the weekend, I’m busy setting up all the different features, and one that I’m puzzled about is the steering wheel ‘diamond’ button assignment, as I’ve selected it to ‘forward to the next track‘, but this isn’t working with my music on Apple CarPlay?

Can anyone tell me if this should work with Apple CarPlay tracks?

Many thanks!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon

Paul

Post by Paul »

AllanG wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 pm Having collected my 2020 model Macan S over the weekend, I’m busy setting up all the different features, and one that I’m puzzled about is the steering wheel ‘diamond’ button assignment, as I’ve selected it to ‘forward to the next track‘, but this isn’t working with my music on Apple CarPlay?

Can anyone tell me if this should work with Apple CarPlay tracks?

Many thanks!
I think it will only work f you are playing music through the PCM (bluetooth or jukebox)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Congratulations on the new car Allan. The PCM, car connect, connect, car play set up can be quite a challenge to set up in itself but seems to be a mixed experience for all.

I mapped my surround camera view to the diamond button which comes in handy on the school run with all the double parked cars. I do wish there was a second button or way of skipping the track without having to touch the screen.

Question for you. How did you find setting up wireless apple car play? My car play works fine when wired, but when not it tells me I need to use usb or WiFi to use smartphone integration (the phone is connected to the WiFi at the time).
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Paul wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:04 pm I think it will only work f you are playing music through the PCM (bluetooth or jukebox)
Many thanks, Paul...I’ll give this a try tomorrow.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

dangezza wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:38 pm Congratulations on the new car Allan. The PCM, car connect, connect, car play set up can be quite a challenge to set up in itself but seems to be a mixed experience for all.

I mapped my surround camera view to the diamond button which comes in handy on the school run with all the double parked cars. I do wish there was a second button or way of skipping the track without having to touch the screen.

Question for you. How did you find setting up wireless apple car play? My car play works fine when wired, but when not it tells me I need to use usb or WiFi to use smartphone integration (the phone is connected to the WiFi at the time).
Many thanks, dangezza.......I agree that a second button on the steering wheel for direct track skipping would be very useful.

Regarding wireless Apple CarPlay, all I had to do was set this option on my iPhone, and when my phone was paired with the PCM, it automatically connected to the CarPlay, though I think the ignition has to be on. However, when connected wirelessly, I find that CarPlay doesn’t always immediately connect when I change from another media source, eg. radio, which is a bit annoying.

I must admit that the PCM system doesn’t seem to be as well executed as the MMI system in my previous Audi Q5....but, so far, I’m loving my Macan!!!

By the way......have you got your Macan back after the warranty works?
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Sounds like it was straight forward for wireless apple car play set up. My phone is paired to Bluetooth but still no luck. I’m starting to think early gen1 potentially doesn’t come with wireless CarPlay and that the suggestion in the PCM software is just poor quality control or the software roll out.

Yes I got my car back with two new rear tyres, front bumper properly sprayed, and air vent toggle fixed. Even sent me some all weather car mats for the trouble.

Had it a few weeks now and really enjoying it. Lovely to drive, sound system sounds better than my wifes meridian in the evoque, and the air suspension really makes the wheels sit well in the arches without any negative impact on the ride quality. The pdls+ are a revelation in comparison to the xenons I had on the f pace.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I think you may be correct in that the Gen 1 PCM doesn’t support wireless CarPlay. Pleased to hear you got your car back all fixed, plus a bonus getting a set of rubber mats 👍

Unfortunately, I didn’t get any freebies from my OPC, so I’m having to buy rubber mats and a boot liner tomorrow...more money to spend lol!!
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

My mistake, I meant early gen2 which isn’t quite so conclusive whether wireless CarPlay is supported or not.

You might find some rubber mats on here as they often appear although I have realised the new mats have a moulded cut out for the foot rest. from what I’ve seen some of the older mats ride up an inch of the foot rest.

Any pics of yours or have I missed the post?
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Here’s the link to some photos of my car:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10314

Sorry I can’t help further regarding CarPlay, but hope you find a solution.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
dangezza

Post by dangezza »

Very nice. The wheels look made for the car in the volcano grey.

I’m still thinking of having my wheels powder coated in a darker colour as the silver diamond cut isn’t a great contrast against crayon.

But then I look at it and sometimes I think it looks great as is.

B4CD06D3-AC7B-45CA-A1D6-F6839FC3C756.jpeg