18 way seat bolster stretch marks

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
TimL

Post by TimL »

I thought I did a good job checking over the car at handover on Friday but today my eagle eyed son spotted what I can only describe as 'stretch marks' in one of the seat cushion bolsters on the driver's side. Have a look at the pictures, the one in question is on the right hand side as I sit in the driver's seat. I appreciate that one in particular is going to get some wear over time but this looks like a defect in the base material that has slipped through Porsche QC as opposed to natural variation in the leather. Car is brand new, only picked it up a few days ago!

What do you think? I've raised it as an issue with my SE.

RIGHT - LEFT (as I sit in driver's seat)

Untitled.png

2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Porsche Code PRZ7RJN9)
Sold: 2023 Macan S Gentian Blue (Porsche Code PP6NHQK0)
Sold: 2021 Macan S Volcano Grey (Porsche Code PL2HKD85)

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

TimL wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:26 pm I thought I did a good job checking over the car at handover on Friday but today my eagle eyed son spotted what I can only describe as 'stretch marks' in one of the seat cushion bolsters on the driver's side. Have a look at the pictures, the one in question is on the right hand side as I sit in the driver's seat. I appreciate that one in particular is going to get some wear over time but this looks like a defect in the base material that has slipped through Porsche QC as opposed to natural variation in the leather. Car is brand new, only picked it up a few days ago!

Untitled.png
So the one with the creases is the one you exit over? If that’s the case, it’s normal I would say, although it will vary depending on the, ahem, size and weight of drivers, also their leg length as they step out over the bolster and try, or not, to avoid putting pressure on the bolster. I think once the creases are there they probably won’t get much worse.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Whilst I believe you do tend to get these creases on the 18- way seat bolster on the sides where you get in & out, I wouldn’t expect to see them on a brand new car, which is only 2 days old.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
pmg

Post by pmg »

One of the atrractions of the 18way seats is the way they develop individual character over days/weeks/months/years of use. ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
TimL

Post by TimL »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:00 pm
TimL wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:26 pm I thought I did a good job checking over the car at handover on Friday but today my eagle eyed son spotted what I can only describe as 'stretch marks' in one of the seat cushion bolsters on the driver's side. Have a look at the pictures, the one in question is on the right hand side as I sit in the driver's seat. I appreciate that one in particular is going to get some wear over time but this looks like a defect in the base material that has slipped through Porsche QC as opposed to natural variation in the leather. Car is brand new, only picked it up a few days ago!

Untitled.png
So the one with the creases is the one you exit over? If that’s the case, it’s normal I would say, although it will vary depending on the, ahem, size and weight of drivers, also their leg length as they step out over the bolster and try, or not, to avoid putting pressure on the bolster. I think once the creases are there they probably won’t get much worse.
Nick, yes the marks are on the bolster I exit over. I'm of slimish stature so not putting much pressure on them ;) . I had an Audi A6 with S Line bucket seats and they developed creases over the 2 - 3 years I owned the vehicle and I'd expect the same on the Macan. However these look more like stretch marks (if you know what I mean) in the leather rather than wear creases. Vehicle is only 2 days old, I'll see what the OPC comes back with.
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

It does look quite severe given you car is only 2 days old.
My 17,000 mile car's 18 way seats aren't showing as much creasing.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

I like a few creases in the leather, it looks natural.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I would not be happy with creases like that in a brand new car. Ageing is one thing, but pre ageing is not on.
Scottchp

Post by Scottchp »

I think you’ve definitely done the right thing to challenge. I’m sure they’ll be able to sort that for you. That is not an acceptable state for a new car to be in.
Fun ICE car - TBC...I’m working on it!!
Daily Grunt - 2020 Peugeot e208 GT
SOLD - 2017 Macan GTS
Volcano Grey, Air, 21” Turbos, Pan Roof, Carbon Interior and a few more luxuries...
TimL

Post by TimL »

Initial response from the dealer after viewing the photographs was "that this is normal for the quality of the leather that they use on the Macan. The leather that Porsche use is more supple and compliant than leathers used by other manufacturers, which makes it more comfortable but more susceptible to marking". Not impressed at the initial attempt to fob me off, was expecting more from Porsche as whilst I agree some creasing over time is to be expected the condition was not acceptable for a brand new car.

Anyway dealer has now escalated to Porsche UK, will let you know the outcome.