Retro Fit Lighting Halogen Replacement

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
DevizesCase

Post by DevizesCase »

Hi

Has anyone had LED headlights fitted to replace the original halogens supplied on a 66 Macan S? Is is possible and what sort of cost?

Thanks

Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

This is not possible as fitting led bulbs to the dipped beam and/or full beam/ sidelights creates a little hit of havoc such that lamps flash or don’t turn off or flicker etc. There are ‘ whiter ‘ bulbs available you can fit, and led fog light bulbs which look good but cast little light.

Also led bulbs available for all interior lamps and number plate lamps at rear. Am just in the middle of changing all bulbs on mine.

Member on here ti-rich wrote a useful thread all about the issue; a quick search will bring it up.

hth
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Yes, search for my thread. In a nutshell you can change the Dipped Beam and fogs to LED (only certain types) but I have not found a solution for the High Beam/DRL H15 bulbs having tried about 8 different types now.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
AMCOM

Post by AMCOM »

Hi,
Not sure if you have sourced the bulbs but I have found a set of H15 DRL LED replacement bulbs without any errors or issues. Fitting was slightly complex I had to remove both headlamps and I have replaced the Halogen bulbs to LED's. I was so disappointed with the halogen set up but I'm glad, I upgraded to LED's. My search wasn't easy and it wasn't that expensive, however it was worth it. :D

Please see the attached image.

Kind regards.

Haye

Porsche DRL.jpg

penport

Post by penport »

DevizesCase wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 pm Hi

Has anyone had LED headlights fitted to replace the original halogens supplied on a 66 Macan S? Is is possible and what sort of cost?

Thanks
Hi
If you're interested I have a lightly used set of Philips X-tremeUltinon gen2 LED car Headlight Bulbs (H7) that I fitted briefly to my 15 Macan S and then removed prior to selling. I'm about to put them up for sale on a well known auction site.
They worked flawlessly and improved the halogens no end.
This thread is super helpful from Ti Rich.

PM me if you're interested
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

This has been mentioned before by others, converting from halogen to led is not legal. With Brexit, MOT will fail too according to the blog below.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ ... in-the-uk/

There is an article on this in the Telegraph too but I don't have a subscription to read the full story.

I hope that this move greatly reduces the number of cars with super bright headlights that shine directly into your eyes. The conversion helps them but not the drivers driving the opposite direction.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
AMCOM

Post by AMCOM »

Thank you for the link. I checked the MOT regulation section 4 in relation to failing the headlamp if found replacing a Halogen bulb to LED. I have sourced products and modified the lamps that will comply to MOT regs. Instead of complete replacement.

Hence fog lamps.

Please see the attached

Screenshot_20210131_155634.jpg

bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I am not a MOT expert, just sharing what I read. It might be open for interpretation although it seems pretty clear to me.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-4-1-4
Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD