Cracked windscreen

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
vanduara37

Post by vanduara37 »

Got a cracked windscreen yesterday and about to inform insurance company.
Wondering if they will send out Autoglass or should I suggest opc replacing it ?

JS18GTS

Post by JS18GTS »

Had mine done at Opc. Still only paid the excess and had a boxter to play with for the weekend.
Mine had to be calibrated to the car although auto glass can do this apparently. Opc also told me the work had to be done by them to keep the warranty valid. I don’t believe they would know if it was replaced out of house obviously you’d need the same screen and not a pattern one.
When I picked mine up there was a cayenne having a screen done which had been fitted by national windscreens they hadn’t sealed it up properly and the car had terrible condensation. On a car like ours I’d always take it back to Porsche my daughters golf needed a new screen a few weeks later autoglass done a great job on that👍
penport

Post by penport »

I too noticed a small crack the other day - no more than 3mm right in the eyeline of passenger.
Seeing as it's so small I'm going down the repair route via insurance company - fingers crossed will be an easy job.
Booked in for a visit this Friday - will report back.
If it turns out a replacement screen is needed I plan to go down the OPC route.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

i will be very surprised if it's the OPC that actually changes the screen, they will just bring in one of the nationalshttps://macanforums.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=10669#
JS18GTS

Post by JS18GTS »

100% mine was subbed out but still done on site. And if anything gets broken at least you know it will be dealt with rather than covered up
penport

Post by penport »

There's also the question of whether the camera needs recalibrating (for LKA, speed limit display etc)
See US forum here https://www.macanforum.com/threads/brok ... ld.179013/
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
Paul

Post by Paul »

penport wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:53 pm There's also the question of whether the camera needs recalibrating (for LKA, speed limit display etc)
See US forum here https://www.macanforum.com/threads/brok ... ld.179013/
Auto glass replaced the screen on my GTS at one of their “centres” (pop-up tent and porta-cabin in Macro car-park!)

Full recalibration done with lasers etc etc - no issues.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
RAA

Post by RAA »

It's the one thing I dread - having a crack or chip on the heated windscreen of my 2019 Macan S. Would Autoglass be able to repair or replace (it is a thin layer of a gel that heats up, sandwiched between two lays of glass) ?
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I stand to be corrected, and will be delighted to be proved wrong, but I don't think we need worry about screen replacement and heating because there is no heating element built into the glass. Ford do it that way and had it patented, although that may have expired now, it works superbly, I had two cars with it. I'm convinced the Porsche approach only uses the ventilation/aircon sytem, so no impact from screen replacement.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Neil1911 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:17 pm I stand to be corrected, and will be delighted to be proved wrong, but I don't think we need worry about screen replacement and heating because there is no heating element built into the glass. Ford do it that way and had it patented, although that may have expired now, it works superbly, I had two cars with it. I'm convinced the Porsche approach only uses the ventilation/aircon sytem, so no impact from screen replacement.
This is the wording taken from the Porsche.de website regarding the heated windscreen for the Gen 2 Macan:-

“A heated windscreen is optionally available for the compact SUV for the first time. For this, a special film is integrated in the windscreen that does not need any heating wires.”
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon