Rear badge curve - how to?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
ultramega

Post by ultramega »

Short version:
Anyone had any success bending OEM Macan lettering to fit? As you can see below, mine is coming off. Turbo has the same issue.

IMG_0086.JPEG

IMG_0088.JPEG

Long version:
When I bought my car a couple of months ago it had a non-genuine Macan Turbo badge. I knew they were aftermarket as the car had model delete from new. The badges were close to coming off anyway, so I removed them and replaced with genuine from Reason Porsche.
I'm close to buying another set, but I am hoping to experiment with the existing ones (after removing) and see if I can get the right curve in them. Having been on once already I don't think I will be able to re-stick them, even after getting the curve right.

Thanks in advance!
2017 Macan Turbo PP, Carmine Red w/ pebble/agate inside.
Too many options to list.

bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I've got round this problem on a bike tank by gently heating and bending the badges with the help of a heat gun.
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Sorry to say but the issue may be the Reason Porsche letters themselves. I bought black Porsche letters from them to refresh mine and while the packaging looked genuine, the letters were not (you should be able to see it clearly from the E letter, the reason Porsche one I rec’d had sharp corners whereas the OEM version has rounded corners).

I complained and to their credit they accepted the return and gave a quick refund. I paid twice as much with design911 and those letters appear to be genuine and have stayed on for 2 yrs now.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Why bother? I paid an extra £0:00 to delete them to harbour less dirt and because they didn't make the car quicker or handle better. You know what it is, who else cares or needs to know?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Au contraire, they do make the car handle better. The cars are engineered for perfect weight distribution with the letters on - it’s precision German engineering at its best.

So when you remove the letters, the car is unbalanced and you’ll be prone to oversteer. I can really feel the difference on my traffic crawl to drop the kids at school each day… :roll:
ultramega

Post by ultramega »

bobajob wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:11 pm I've got round this problem on a bike tank by gently heating and bending the badges with the help of a heat gun.
I considered this but wondered if the heat might affect the adhesive. I suppose the key word is "gentle" heat.
ultramega

Post by ultramega »

ultrabelse wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 pm Sorry to say but the issue may be the Reason Porsche letters themselves. I bought black Porsche letters from them to refresh mine and while the packaging looked genuine, the letters were not (you should be able to see it clearly from the E letter, the reason Porsche one I rec’d had sharp corners whereas the OEM version has rounded corners).

I complained and to their credit they accepted the return and gave a quick refund. I paid twice as much with design911 and those letters appear to be genuine and have stayed on for 2 yrs now.
The PORSCHE I got from them wasn't genuine, but the Macan & Turbo came in sealed genuine packaging - considering the bargain price I paid I was pleasantly surprised that any of it was genuine. And they are noticeably higher quality than what I took off.
ultramega

Post by ultramega »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 pm Why bother? I paid an extra £0:00 to delete them to harbour less dirt and because they didn't make the car quicker or handle better. You know what it is, who else cares or needs to know?
That's a fair point. I do like stealth, and for that reason had the badges off my S4 & S8.
In this case it's down to my personal preference of aesthetics: I think the boot lid is too big of an empty space without the model name. I went with black rather than silver because I didn't want to be too shouty about it being a turbo. Maybe I should get silver PORSCHE by itself and see how I like that.
ultramega

Post by ultramega »

ultrabelse wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:38 am Au contraire, they do make the car handle better. The cars are engineered for perfect weight distribution with the letters on - it’s precision German engineering at its best.

So when you remove the letters, the car is unbalanced and you’ll be prone to oversteer. I can really feel the difference on my traffic crawl to drop the kids at school each day… :roll:
Yes, the fake badges I took off were aluminium. With these genuine ones being steel my rear end is noticeably more planted!
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I would use a heat gun anywhere near a car bodywork or the badges tbh. Guarantee you will ruin the paint or melt the plastic on the badge.

Go with a hairdryer on the very lowest setting at a distance if you have to.