Build Quality

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Hi, interesting post at a very apt time. I’m on my second Macan, first was a 66 GTS, best car ever that I owned for 5 years and did 50,000 miles in. Now in a 4 month old GTS 21 plate, absolute shocker in comparison quality wise and I had the silver ‘plastic’ (absolutely not chrome) parts of the central console buttons literally fall off. ‘The Dealership’, who I will name once this has been taken further, blamed us for ‘vandalism’ as if it was done on purpose. The car has done less than 5000 miles, what is my purpose in vandalising the car? I wasn’t trying to return the car as not fit for purpose? I am an Interior Designer, I know a good finish from a poor one and this new phony version of my old car is gut wrenchingly disappointing in comparison to my last and this won’t be the last car with this fault. The solidity of the old car has gone, if you know and recognise quality you will understand this. Thank you for raising your concerns, can you point me in the direction of the other similar instances you googled and found? My warranty didn’t cover it as it’s an apparent unknown issue and I’m now 1.8k out of pocket as the whole console apparently needed replacing. Porsche UK, I hope you are reading this.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Over fives years of Macan ownership and zero faults.

Personally I am not of the opinion that they are over engineered, with transfer box, disc brakes, the dreaded DPF on SD models, engine mounts A/C faults, sudden screen misting being a few issues owners have faced.

One recall as such in the potential fuel leak which grounded many Macans in transit to OPC’s, I have no doubt other issues that should have been recalls have been fixed at service time by the OPC.

I fail to understand why we have the rubbish sat nav which is flaky when trying to update, why they are not on an SD card or a memory stick is beyond me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I won't hear a word said against the superb sat nav (in Gen 2, leastways) which has now worked and updated faultlessly for for 2 years and 3 days.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

All I can say to you guys with a pre 2021 Macan, don’t change it. I’m gutted with the performance of my 21 GTS v a 66 plate GTS I owned for 4 years, it’s sluggish in comparison and feels cheap, stick with the old shape, I wish I had never updated, it’s no upgrade believe me.
sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Murphy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 am All I can say to you guys with a pre 2021 Macan, don’t change it. I’m gutted with the performance of my 21 GTS v a 66 plate GTS I owned for 4 years, it’s sluggish in comparison and feels cheap, stick with the old shape, I wish I had never updated, it’s no upgrade believe me.
Hmm I owned an older shape one and a gen 2 and soon to be a gen 3

Always felt they only got better!! So don’t agree

The first gen macan never had the GPF so exhaust notes in that GTS were nice. But for everything else, I honestly felt the gen 2 GTS was better.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Murphy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 am All I can say to you guys with a pre 2021 Macan, don’t change it. I’m gutted with the performance of my 21 GTS v a 66 plate GTS I owned for 4 years, it’s sluggish in comparison and feels cheap, stick with the old shape, I wish I had never updated, it’s no upgrade believe me.
Pics of both of your cars would be good so that we can see that you aren’t just trolling. Seems strange that you owned a GTS for 4 years then come on this forum to criticise the 21 GTS.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

I’m a bit confused as to why it would feel sluggish compared with the 2021 model which would have higher bhp and torque figures?
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Back to the OP's question. After owning a well spec'd '19 Macan S for 2-1/2" years I can say the build quality is excellent (slightly better than the alfa's I've had :D and on a par with a premium Audi) but obviously some cars have issues my own included. The feel and ambiance of the cabin is top of the line, particularly with any of the upgraded leather / Alcantara packages which really do bring it to another level.

The switch gear issue mentioned has not been a common thread on the forum, perhaps a bad batch or they swapped suppliers for a period? After 30 months as a family workhorse our interior is still like new. I've had the cracked handles (6 replaced!), which has been a royal pain as I live many miles from an OPC. I've not been blown away by Porsche service, their front of house operation has been a gong show to be honest (to the point where my wife suggested we never go back....). But bottom line is they are great cars overall, it ain't perfect but for a mid sized SUV it's impressive & we struggled to decide on anything else for our next car so there is a gen 3 on order - from another OPC.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

^^^ Seconded (but still on original door handles) a great product let down by buying and dealer experience. Is that different for the more expensive models or if you have several Porsches in your garage I wonder?

But yes, it is worth the angst, which is why they're still in business!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Neil1911 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 pm ^^^ Seconded (but still on original door handles) a great product let down by buying and dealer experience. Is that different for the more expensive models or if you have several Porsches in your garage I wonder?
Not in my experience. I think it's more down to the franchise holder and dealership management.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA