Build Quality

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:47 pm
Neil1911 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 pm ^^^ Seconded (but still on original door handles) a great product let down by buying and dealer experience. Is that different for the more expensive models or if you have several Porsches in your garage I wonder?
Not in my experience. I think it's more down to the franchise holder and dealership management.
Agree with Nick.

Lakeland, Chester and Leeds have been great whenever I have used them.

Bolton are OK but Arif is the man in the know about them.

Bolton are part of a group that owns Wilmslow, the Cheshire Set buy here and the Sales staff do not have to work at it to sell a Porsche with a shedload of options. Worst OPC experience at Wilmslow, makes Jaguar Sales look like Rolls Royce.

Now using Preston Porsche a new OPC and they have been good so far but we have used them before as they are also BMW & Mini in nearby showrooms.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

As an ex motor engineer, I’ve jumped in and out of 100’s if not 1000’s of cars. I’ve virtually lived in them over my previous employments too. I can say with some degree of experience that the build quality of my Gen 1 SD is bulletproof. After nearly 5 years of ownership from new, it’s still like new. But it is looked after.
But the same OPC, buying my first Porsche in 1994, and then the Macan, was worlds apart. The latter absolutely abysmal.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Not many cars have real chrome these days due to the environmental issues, it's shiny plastic in most cases. I have not had any issues at all with Porsche Bolton, part of the Stratstone group as are Wilmslow, neither am I a member of the 'Cheshire Set'. The comment that they are easy to sell to is incorrect. I know someone that worked at Wilmslow and he said the more money they had the tighter they were. He left as the management were awful.
As for build quality, apart from the black exhaust tips, both the Macans I have owned have been very good but then I am comparing them to a Range Rover Sport which was c***.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 pm Not many cars have real chrome these days due to the environmental issues, it's shiny plastic in most cases. I have not had any issues at all with Porsche Bolton, part of the Stratstone group as are Wilmslow, neither am I a member of the 'Cheshire Set'. The comment that they are easy to sell to is incorrect. I know someone that worked at Wilmslow and he said the more money they had the tighter they were. He left as the management were awful.
As for build quality, apart from the black exhaust tips, both the Macans I have owned have been very good but then I am comparing them to a Range Rover Sport which was c***.
Bought my Aston from Stratstone.....never again!
Deleted User 4436

Just found this review on Autotrader (its actually about the new macan but mentions reliability for Porsche in general):

Porsche doesn’t have a particularly great record for reliability, although the company's relatively small size means it’s often absent from the larger reliability surveys. This can make it difficult to get meaningful insight into the Macan, specifically. Warranty Direct’s Reliability Index ranks Porsche close to the bottom of all the manufacturers, and owner reviews on Auto Trader show several customers that have had reliability problems. Should anything go wrong, Porsche offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Not promising.
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am Just found this review on Autotrader (its actually about the new macan but mentions reliability for Porsche in general):

Porsche doesn’t have a particularly great record for reliability, although the company's relatively small size means it’s often absent from the larger reliability surveys. This can make it difficult to get meaningful insight into the Macan, specifically. Warranty Direct’s Reliability Index ranks Porsche close to the bottom of all the manufacturers, and owner reviews on Auto Trader show several customers that have had reliability problems. Should anything go wrong, Porsche offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Not promising.
I don't know for sure but Reliability doesn't come up very often on this Forum. Perhaps I've missed all the fun being a new member?
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

My Macans have been 100% reliable.
Porsche were voted no.1 in a recent AutoExpress survey.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

WhatCar have said similar, in that the Macan is most reliable luxury SUV:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-t ... ast/n23434
Deleted User 4436

Joe390 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:43 am WhatCar have said similar, in that the Macan is most reliable luxury SUV:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-t ... ast/n23434
I think that’s the issue with some of these reports. It’s difficult to tell if there is bias on the part of the reporter.
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am Just found this review on Autotrader (its actually about the new macan but mentions reliability for Porsche in general):

Not promising.
Personally I'd say this is a reflection of the cost of the warranty claims, rather than a high percentage / number of issues - something like a transfer box is thousands to fix on the Macan if not covered by Porsche. Ditto the history of RMS/IMS claims on early 987/997 cars. Most owners would be looking for an OPC investigation and repair rather than a local do-it-all garage, so not only high parts prices but high labour too. Ford and GM owners of their respective volume sellers are less likely to take out extended warranties, and repair costs would be paid by the owner , probably via local garages.