Build Quality

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I suspect there are some cans of worms to be opened here but I thought I’d ask for some feedback on Macan build quality from those that have lived with them for a while. Traditional wisdom has it that all things Porsche are built to a standard far exceeding the proverbial stone built out-house.

However, during a recent test drive of a very highly specced Gen 2 S I went to put the window up and the window buttons disintegrated in my hand. Not something I was entirely expecting. Seems the buttons are plastic with a shiny chrome/plastic tip and its that tip that fell off. Bearing in mind this was a relatively new, low mileage example, it was a bit of a surprise. Having googled this, it turns out to be a not uncommon event.

So this led me to wonder what other common build issues I can look forward to ( leaky pano’s have been mentioned elsewhere ) and if the legendary Porsche build quality is really all its cracked-up to be.

pmg

Post by pmg »

No issues to date with my door buttons on 2019 "S" after 29 months and 19500 miles.

After a good clean car looks like new inside and out
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

The only problem I've heard about that has not been mentioned in this forum was with the hatch opening button on the rear wiper. That was before I took delivery of, maybe even ordered mine, the car is still in the same ownership, I'll ask if it was resolved when I get the opportunity.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

If you want poor build quality buy a BMW, Audi or Merc. Especially buy one of those cars if you love rattles.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

mistercesq wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 pm If you want poor build quality buy a BMW, Audi or Merc. Especially buy one of those cars if you love rattles.
Fair points ( had a Merc, it was terrible) but I’m asking specifically about actual Porsche experience rather than the usual “ I had a mate….. “ kind of comments ( wasn’t suggesting yours were BTW ).
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Overall build quality is very high and every review I’ve ever read says the same. Yes, there will always be the odd issue, and anyone who has a problem usually shouts loud and long about it but you’d be hard put to find better in this sector.

My Macan was pretty faultless although from collection I had an annoying very slight rattle coming from the back end which was fixed by the OPC adjusting the tailgate stops. The important thing is how issues are dealt with and my OPC is great in this respect.

Car reliability surveys often have Porsche in the upper half, some models, including the Macan have come top in some reports. The common issue of the transfer box has been well aired here, but again, Porsche have recognised the weakness and are replacing boxes under the seven year warranty.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

I've just jumped ships from a 5 series to the Macan, and the increase in build quality is certainly noticeable for the most part.

I never had any rattles in the 5. However, it drove me mad when, in the warmer months, the dash would creak with the air-con coming on. I also had a creak when leaning on the door armrest. Apart from that, it was a great car.

What I did notice in the Macan is that all of the plastics, for example, around the boot area, are much more 'solid'. I installed my dashcam, and just the way the side pillars meet the roof lining - it's all just 'firmer'. Hard to describe. To my eyes, there are only a couple of areas I think let the Macan down - and that's the quality of the stalks (indicator, wipers) could be much better, and the 'look' of the plastic on the lower sections of the front seats. The rear doors don't feel as good to close as the front either - again, don't know how to describe it. Those are my only 'gripes' when it comes to quality. Everything else is exceptional.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:44 pm Overall build quality is very high and every review I’ve ever read says the same. Yes, there will always be the odd issue, and anyone who has a problem usually shouts loud and long about it but you’d be hard put to find better in this sector.

My Macan was pretty faultless although from collection I had an annoying very slight rattle coming from the back end which was fixed by the OPC adjusting the tailgate stops. The important thing is how issues are dealt with and my OPC is great in this respect.

Car reliability surveys often have Porsche in the upper half, some models, including the Macan have come top in some reports. The common issue of the transfer box has been well aired here, but again, Porsche have recognised the weakness and are replacing boxes under the seven year warranty.
The only car to knock Lexus off the top of Autoexpress driver Power survey as the Macan did this year
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Whilst my car hasn’t got the keyless entry option, I believe there has been an issue of cracks appearing in the external door handles of some cars fitted with this option and, whilst OPCs have been changing the handles under warranty, I don’t think Porsche have come up with a new design to prevent reoccurrence.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

pmg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:00 pm The only car to knock Lexus off the top of Autoexpress driver Power survey as the Macan did this year
...and, having recently spent a couple of days touring N Yorkshire with my brother in his new 450h, the cabin can't hold a candle even to my standard (ex 14 ways) interior. Don't know, or care, if you can spec cabin upgrades in a Lexus!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP