Creaks and clunks

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I now have this same noise at exactly 10 MPH ..... it wasn't there from the start. I must admit that it does sound like a solenoid .... wondering if it's anything to do with Start/Stop. I agree it is VERY irritating

Long shot - it's not the doors locking is it?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

By coincidence, my car has just come back from the OPC where they were trying to fix a list of small niggles that I had accumulated over my first five months of owbership. The "10 mph" click was one of them.

First of all, I noticed immediately that the loan car they gave me (Macan S Diesel) had exactly the same click at 10 mph Ouch. After much investigation, the OPC concluded basically that "they all do that". I suspect it is a solenoid and further that it may be related to stop-start, but that's just a guess.

I suggest that anyone who has not had this noise does not, under any circumstances, check to see if their car has this noise because once you have heard it, you cannot un-hear it Cry.

My original rear-end creak has gone away and stayed away.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I now have this same noise at exactly 10 MPH ..... it wasn't there from the start. I must admit that it does sound like a solenoid .... wondering if it's anything to do with Start/Stop. I agree it is VERY irritating

Long shot - it's not the doors locking is it?

No, it repeats every time you stop and then go through 10 mph again. I will now be learning some mental yoga or some such to "block" it out of my mind Smile.
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Maybe 7300 miles or so later, I do feel that after a stint in Europe (4800 kms in a month), I have less creeks (suppose it's interior fittings), unless I am aging faster than before!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I bought my Macan about one month ago and same noise experienced. Dealer said its a common issue with the macans for the noise when gear changes from 1st to 2nd.. It annoying though. I also hear the rear noise too..
Live in Trinidad in the Caribbean
ricksta68

Post by ricksta68 »

I'm not quite sure that saying 'that's just how they are' is a good enough explanation for a 60k+ car. Also, I recall seeing on the US forums that someone basically had a brand new PDK fitted to try to rectify this very problem... and alas, it did fix the problem.
DonaldS

Post by DonaldS »

I noticed the click that occurs at 10
MPH a few days after picking up my 2.0 T. At first I though it would go away
and then realising that it was not thought it was related to changing up
between 1st and 2nd gear until (like Giz9) discovered if I held the car in 1st
the click still happened around 10 mph so it was not related to gear change but
something else. After checking the forum and seeing other Macan's seem to
suffer the same fault I though I should share what I discovered today. The click
happens when the reversing camera cuts out so I think that the controlling
solenoid for the Pack Assist may be the cause. I am going to pop into my OPC
next time I am passing to see what they say. If it is the Park Assist solenoid
then yes, it is annoying, but not dangerous.

2017 Current: Macan GTS - Night Blue - delivered Jan 2020
2015 Previous: Cayman GTS (981) - GT Silver - delivered Oct 2018 sold Jan 2020
2016 Previous: Macan 2.0T - Volcano Grey - delivery Mar 2016 sold Oct 2018
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

I'd be surprised if the park assist needed a solenoid. I thought it sounded lik ethe click you get when the stop/start cuts in. Mine still does it.

On the plus side, most of my other noises have gone away :-).
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
macanations

Post by macanations »

I have a new SD and started to hear this noise- did you get any resolution when you visited your dealer?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Noticed a few noises appear on poorer road surfaces, though they are random to an extent and may disappear after a short driving time.
Recently if turn on the car without the tracker fob with me (mine is activated) seem to be getting a jingle from the pcm / phone unit just like if a text arrives on a phone or tablet, must track it down sometime.