Windscreen replacement

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Bill

Post by Bill »

Has anyone out there had a chipped windscreen replaced? If so anything I need to know. Autoglass are the company selected by insurer and my porsche dealer say they will be contacted by them for correct screen. But forewarned is forearmed if there is the possibility of any issues. Many thanks for any replies.

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I think Autoglass were featured on Watchdog recently - you need to see if you can get a fitter that has a lot of experience with Porsche screens.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
MacS

Post by MacS »

Loosely related but I had Autoglass replace my windscreen on my 911 and they were fine.
It is worth noting that they couldn't replace it at my house but instead it had to be taken to their workshop and it took nearly 3 hours !
Macan S (petrol) July 2016 build www.porsche-code.com/PHNCVTZ0
Macan GTS ordered January 2016 www.porsche-code.com/PH7WIEH9
Previous : 911 C2S
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Autoglass replaced my Cayenne's windscreen in May when the car was only two months old. Make sure they fit a genuine Porsche replacement with the correct part number. Autoglass received the windscreen two weeks after they oordered it. They sent two fitters, who took just under two hours to complete the job with a lot of care.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Had my Yeti screen replaced by Autoglass - correct part number because it was a heated screen, experienced fitter but it did take a week to get the screen (genuine part ) Otherwise, no complaints, did it on the drive in about 45 mins but you can't drive the car for a further 8 hrs to give the adhesive time to cure.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi,

My got chipped on a trip to France a month of so ago, being replaced over the next couple of weeks.

Remember if you've got Lane Departure Warning the windscreen camera needs re-aligning/calibrating and obviously that's a dealer only job :) In my case the local bodyshop does the windscreen replacement and then it goes to the dealer for the camera calibration.

wizard2015-07-11 09:05:32
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
Bill

Post by Bill »

Many thanks for these replies. I'll check with my dealer on Monday for part number. I was contacted by Autoglass today and advised there is a delay as Porsche do not have one in stock. my car has lane assist. park assist, heated screen, active cruise control, auto wipers, might be more but may have forgotten. I'll need to check with dealer about part number and calibration as when I initially discussed with them they were unsure. By the way this is my first Porsche, I have a fully loaded diesel, I traded in my 4year old range rover vogue v8 diesel as I wanted to downsize and I had been very impressed with a test drive. I will say not quite as practical but a lot more fun to drive and have been more than happy with switch. I am hoping there is a hybrid offing as I will definitely be interested. I hired a Toyota hybrid in Australia last year for a month and was most impressed. Will be the future for our cars. Thanks again.
macan / tiger

Post by macan / tiger »

Cant see the point in Hybrid any more, now that the govt have changes the Vehicle tax bands. Hybrids ok for pooling around town but struggle in quick A-road / motorway driving as the engine is usually smaller and hence they tend to return bad MPG in real life
Bill

Post by Bill »

I agree engine size is critical. But a good engine combined with electrical transmission and decent battery's makes for phenomenal acceleration and nice town or local driving. To small an engine just doesn't work and I'm sure porsche will have this worked out. I'm waiting for a test drive in a Cayenne hybrid to checkout.
LRR_uk

Post by LRR_uk »

I had Autoglass visit on Saturday 4th July to repair a stone chip. A few minutes in to the repair the 'technician' called me from the house to inform me "Sorry mate it broke, you'll need a new screen, I'll order one for you"

After no hearing anything from Autoglass for a week I called them.... Appears there is a back log on getting new screens for the Macan. However, the person on the phone also mentioned as above once they replace the screen I must book in and PAY the Porsche dealership for the camera calibration.

I called the Porsche dealership for the cost... The Service guy said you know you don't have to have Autoglass perform the replacement we can do the replacement and recalibration for you!

I called Marsh Insuance (Porsche Insurance) who said yeah no problem... The only difference from Autoglass is you pay the invoice to the dealership, then Aviva refund it within 10 days less the £75 excess.

Trying to get the car booked in the dealership however... I just got a call from the service desk... It appears the windscreens are on back order until OCTOBER!!!! He said Porsche keep a small number in the event people have a smashed window, but cracks that can be lived with must wait!!!!LRR_uk2015-07-14 14:59:04
Macan Turbo - Delivered 'Dec 2014'
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFBWA7U3