Windscreen replacement

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Had my first small chip today Angry

Paul

Post by Paul »

Salt and vinegar (sorry, couldn't resist)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

Bill, I was told you cant get a heated screen for a Macan?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I recall that Ford own the Patents for the heated windscreen and hence why so few non Ford cars have heated windscreens. I guess the licence fee Ford charge is pretty steep.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I recall that Ford own the Patents for the heated windscreen and hence why so few non Ford cars have heated windscreens. I guess the licence fee Ford charge is pretty steep.

I recall an earlier thread debate on this - heated screen wasn't available on the Macan, but I did have one on my Skoda Yeti (VW group)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bill

Post by Bill »

Well there is a button on center consol to defrost windscreen and mirrors and though I can't see filaments and my recently departed Range Rover had a heated screen but if you looked closely you could just detect filaments.
But the story so far my local dealer has now confirmed that there is a camera behind my mirror that will req calibration after new screen is fitted. It was found in the small print and one of there engineers who is on holiday has been trained and they advise screen is a special order. No word back from Autoglass. So watch this space. If it takes a while I may contact insurers to see if I can deal direct.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Spiky you are right not an electric defrost. Button redirects air.
LRR_uk

Post by LRR_uk »

Received confirmation, new screen ordered from main dealer.

Comment in confirmation email "We can chase them to see if we can get one sooner, but they rejected a request for one with a crack the whole width recently, so your 3 inch crack may not be bad enough yet I'm afraid !"

Guess I'll be waiting until October...

For anyone interested in the cost of a new screen from their OPC;

Replacement Windscreen @ £ 449.96
Windscreen Fitting Cost @ £ 457.65
Re-calibrate front facing camera @ £ 79.65
VAT £ 197.45
Total invoice value £1,184.71 ouch

So, I pay that on collection, then Aviva refund £1,109.71 within 10 days (so they say).

By those figures if you go down the Autoglass replacement route you would pay Autoglass your £75 excess then book in to your OPC and then you pay them £95.58 too!
Macan Turbo - Delivered 'Dec 2014'
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFBWA7U3
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Also in france on autoroute, good strike, loose sliver on impact zone aprx 7 inch curving crack to mirror not in line of sight, hoping it will last, might get a glue fix to impact zone to help, wonder if it last till uk, have emailed for opc cost, insurance indicate there is a policy maximum apparently autoglass have figures my excess is otherwise 75.
Hopefully axa will also do bill less 75, i live in hope!
Prefer to pay 75 and the electronic realignment, so did you do autoglass or dealer in the end and the delivery is still maybe October?
Nomad2015-09-07 19:59:34
Bill

Post by Bill »

Bit of a story. Still waiting on Autoglass. They tell me they have had to reject 2 windscreens supplied to date as they have had scratches. These are from porsche. I visited my local Porsch dealer last week and they tell me they can change within a few days as screen is in stock but will look in to camera alignment, that had taken them on the hop as they had never had to carry out a replacement to date. Now I ask will screen supplied have a scratch or not. I'm lucky car is drivable it's a chip with a small crack that could propagate and would not be good with a glue job. I'm loosing patience so I guess I'll end up going with dealer and hope there straight about it all then claim back, broker says no problem. By way a great car, the longer I have the better I like it. Will probably order number 2 before budget change comes in.