Windscreen replacement

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bill, thanks, hoping that placing tape over crack may help stabilize it, will observe crack length.

An interesting comment earlier that glues may take 8 hrs to fully set i hope not, i may call into an opc to enquire if glass supply is a uk issue more than europe, yes hopfully insurance will collect most of it if autoglass replace it do they just stick mirror bits on within guidelines maybe as shown on glass?

In the past have found a waterproof light resistant tape in car places i think it was for headlights though of course its at home.
J

Paul

Post by Paul »

Bill, thanks, hoping that placing tape over crack may help stabilize it, will observe crack length.

An interesting comment earlier that glues may take 8 hrs to fully set i hope not,

If you have a new screen fitted you shouldn't drive the car for 6-8 hours - the glue whilst mixed with hardner etc has to go off....
J
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

My insurance has given me the choice of autoglass europe (carglass) or porsche, the former is not sure if theirs has lane assist section, price v similiar so have ordred from porsche france 9th delivery 17th fit 21 starting 1100 cured by 1800 22nd, they have a longer curing time however carglass will be doing the job at porsches workshop so i end with opc guarantee! Will collect am 23rd, estimate 300 euros for configuration 1350 for window and replacement, requested widow is checked before fitting due to previous posts. It seems supply may be better in europe, i pay then refund less excess, agreed with ins engineer.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Finally auto glass fitted new screen. Booked into dealer next week for camera calibration. ( 2 month wait for screen ) of this happens again I'll consider going straight to dealer. I'll keep you all posted about calibration. By way no complaint with Autoglass good clean job just a hell of a wait out with there control. They also issue a life time guarantee. Bill
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Macan with porsche france 21st at 1100 hrs allowed to collect earliest 1800 22nd will collect 23rd am, no courtesy car though, they claim 2.5 hours to calibrate seems rather long for lane assist etc. See earlier txt for order times apx 1 week.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Finally auto glass fitted new screen. Booked into dealer next week for camera calibration. ( 2 month wait for screen ) of this happens again I'll consider going straight to dealer. I'll keep you all posted about calibration. By way no complaint with Autoglass good clean job just a hell of a wait out with there control. They also issue a life time guarantee. Bill
good job Bill a relief I bet
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Booked In to dealer next week and they have confirmed 2 1/2 hr job and explained procedure, sounds fare bearing in mind the complexity of the modern car, I can't see Autoglass ever being in a position to include this in a screen change so it looks like if you have lane assist etc it will have to be a dealer job to do screen if insurance is to pick up bill less excess. It appears wheel alignments and cambers must be check along with software using dealers software. Fare if screen damaged in an accident, but a stone chip? Keep you posted. Bill
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hopefully my last post on this. Back from dealer and cameras recalibrated, had a chat with engineer and now understand procedure, 2 to 3 hour job, bill £343.00, had a courtesy car (basic 2 litre petrol macan, ok good for commuting but not a patch on 3 liter) and received my car back fully valeted, dealer as courteous as ever good coffee and a tin of mints. So conclusion. If screen gets chipped again I will go straight to dealer and advise insurance company accordingly going to Autoglass has cost me insurance excess and calibration costs and a lot of time. So go to dealer one bill to be sent to insurance for reimbursement resulting in the actual cost to my pocket the insurance excess. qed . By way have no problem with Autoglass. They did an excellent job but I cannot see them being able to calibrate windscreen cameras on site in the near future. I hope this of interest and helps someone in the future. Bill
steve w

Post by steve w »

Bill
Lesson learnt for everyone else who's unfortunate to need a screen replaced ,thanks for the info.
Steve W
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

+1 thanks Bill invaluable information and at I'm sure that will help many in the future..
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.