Condensation in headlights

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Washed my car this morning and I noticed this for the first time too, glad to hear it's not an isolated problem.
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019

Blobby

Post by Blobby »

Took the same issue up with my OPC on a 2019 3.0s and told me it’s normal......and to be fair it clears itself in no time for me.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Very wet weather when I returned the Boxster T loaner this evening and I noticed the condensation on those light too.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
dvearn

Post by dvearn »

Blobby wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 pm Took the same issue up with my OPC on a 2019 3.0s and told me it’s normal......and to be fair it clears itself in no time for me.
Not sure how happy I would be about being told condensation collecting around electrical components is "normal", especially on a car like this.
For one thing it looks bad.

I've just found condensation in my rear light bar and emailed the Dealership, it's closed at the mo due to COVID, but I'll be interested to see what they say about it.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I'll look forward to their reply - I was with your thinking when it first occurred, but a walk around the OPC compound and it is a common thing to see in all models. I concluded if it were a problem they would have fixed it.

As it occurs on the aerodynamic/cosmetics cover and the Xeon/LED units are separately sealed units (not sure about halogens these days) I believe there is little short term issue from it other than it looks naff! Undoubtedly, in the (very) long term some cosmetic damage/corrosion will occur.

Basically it is very difficult to economically seal a large unit from moisture and when it gets in it will stay in, effectively destroying the unit, Porsche have chosen to not seal the units but in some way make it fairly easy to the moisture to escape again, being mainly a condensate it should be clean and not carry contamination (dirt) into the units, so long as the materials do not discolour from repeated contact with water. :roll:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Modern led lights generate very little heat unlike older filament type lights which are basically heaters and good at drying out whatever they are in. The lights on my new Cayenne are all led and I see most of them misting up to some degree. I would hope that come the warmer weather it should be less of an issue.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Rab J wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 pm Modern led lights generate very little heat unlike older filament type lights which are basically heaters and good at drying out whatever they are in. The lights on my new Cayenne are all led and I see most of them misting up to some degree. I would hope that come the warmer weather it should be less of an issue.
:lol: Lets hope so.......but you are in Ireland ........... the one place damper than Wales :?
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Ferdie wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm
Rab J wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 pm Modern led lights generate very little heat unlike older filament type lights which are basically heaters and good at drying out whatever they are in. The lights on my new Cayenne are all led and I see most of them misting up to some degree. I would hope that come the warmer weather it should be less of an issue.
:lol: Lets hope so.......but you are in Ireland ........... the one place damper than Wales :?
[/quote
Yep, the solution is simple, did it myself. MOVE! 😂😂😂🤐
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MikeM wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Ferdie wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm
[/quote
Yep, the solution is simple, did it myself. MOVE! 😂😂😂🤐
Must say I don't mind a bit of rain these days as the novelty of wall to wall sun and heat wears off pretty quickly i find. I did like the look of Harry Rednap's place in Sandbanks though, maybe I should try that but then getting somewhere to stretch the Porsche's legs gets difficult so not perfect either. :shock:
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50