Macan - Thule Bike Carrier

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I thought may be of interest to some. Our tow hitch is basically for a cycle rack. Used it in anger today. worked well very stable even on twisty roads, minimal MPG hit. Electronics threw no errors up, all economy features were disabled (start-stop, coast), prox was off at the back but camera still working but limited use.

One tip 22mm pipe lagging is recommended unless you are sure you will never open the boot with them on the back, see lower picture.

991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Looks good Ferdie. A tow bar is the one option I wished I'd specced just to be able to carry bikes. We always carried them on the roof of our 5 series touring so thought I'd just use the roof bars and my Thule cycle carriers on the Macan. However, it's pretty high to get them up there and now not so sure!
Hawkeye2017-03-26 19:05:15
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

On my Audi, the remote boot opening (fob and inside car) were disabled when something was on the tow bar. Only the button on the boot lid would open it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Thanks for posting Ferdie.
That's exactly what we intend to do this summer😎
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

On my Audi, the remote boot opening (fob and inside car) were disabled when something was on the tow bar. Only the button on the boot lid would open it.

I think Porsche missed that trick, I will check as I was using the button for tests.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
Fordson Dexta - 1960
banbury

Post by banbury »

Great info.
Q. Does your Thule "wobble" a bit? Hence the lagging?
Also any tips on locking the bikes/ carrier? I have a 10-year old Thule and the lock on the tow-bar was okay but I had to use beefy lock and chains to prevent anyone trying to nick them. It made the whole carrier a bit heavy and none to steady...
Rich291

Post by Rich291 »

I have the Atera Strada towbar rack which is also very good. Can confirm that boot opening behaviour is different when the rack is installed - from memory the buttons on the key and driver's door will just release the catch. The wiper button will open it though (might have to press twice).
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDV5E18
GTS ordered Nov 2015, Build date 8 Aug 2016
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Hi Banbury, the only reason the lagging is there is in case someone opens the boot when the carrier is upright, there is only a little movement visible when driving over rough surfaces.
Mine has a latch that allows you to flip the bikes back (away from the car), then you can open the boot. It's from Halfords, very similar to the Porsche one only about half the price.
My carrier has a lock on the ball clamp, also if anyone unplugs the lights the alarm should sound and there is a locking (grey) clamp on each bike to hold it upright.
The Thule locks are not very secure ones, so if we leave the car and bikes for any time I intend to also use a high tensile bike cable thorough the frames and around the carrier. Hope this helps - happy to post more pictures if anyone wants.

991.1 C2 - Black Edition
Fordson Dexta - 1960
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

I think Porsche missed that trick, I will check as I was using the button for tests.

I have the factory fitted tow hitch on my Macan GTS on which I mount a Thule G6 928 LED bike rack and confirm that when it's on the hitch and plugged in, the remote and internal door button only unlatch the tailgate, to fully open it the button on the wiper has to be pressed.
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Thanks Adrian991 good to know

May even try upgrading the bulbs to LEDs as they are a bit feeble compared to the Macans.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
Fordson Dexta - 1960