Stone chips on windscreen

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
connorb77

Post by connorb77 »

Hi, I'm after some advice please.
I collected my 64 plate Macan on the 9th of February 2017. When I collected it there was a few stone chips on the bodywork and the Porsche centre repaired what I pointed out with touchup paint but after I hand washed the car for the first time I noticed quite a few more. I contacted Porsche and they had a look and then they had to send the car away to get the bonnet and front bumper resprayed.

I also said to them that there is at least 4 stone chips on the windscreen and they said that they will repair these.

Now the problem is it was in with Porsche for nearly 3 weeks and I collected it today and they said they have polished the windscreen the best they could. However the chips are still noticeable.
Should I ask them to repair again or even go as far as replacing the screen?
I did pay over £50k for the vehicle and yes I know its a used vehicle but would anyone else accept this?

Thanks for advice Connor

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sounds like they've been pretty good in sorting the paintwork issues.

How big are the chips in the screen? They'd need to be pretty bad, and in the main field of vision to justify a new screen. You say that they said they would 'repair' them, but they now say they've only polished them. To me a repair would be an Autoglass job where the chip is polished but also filled back to flush surface and is then almost invisible. Worth asking if they will do that.

I think though that you'd be in a stronger position if you had pointed these out at the time of sale.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Very difficult on a " used" car. As Nick says, cosmetic issues should really have been addressed prior to purchase....but hindsight is a wonderful gift.....

You say they have already resprayed the bonnet and front bumper which is quite a gesture in itself.

You could ask again for screen repairs as opposed to polish......are the chips in the driver's field of vision and would they constitute an MOT fail for example? If so, the they need sorting......

Don't lett these " niggles" spoil the car
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
connorb77

Post by connorb77 »

Hi Nick and Paul, to be honest they've been brilliant sorting out the paintwork above what I had even expected.
The chips on the screen are very small about 4 or 5 of them no more than 2mm each in size across the field of vision. I will ask them today if they could do what was suggested in getting Autoglass out to fill and polish and see what they say.
I never noticed them on the screen at he time as it look all new and shiny apart from the stone chips I pointed out at the time of collection.
I'll let you know what they say Smile and thanks for your advice Big smileBig smileBig smile
Connor
happy days

Post by happy days »

Has the car got surround cameras? If so, a replacement screen will cost in the region of £1k as it needs the cameras realigned afterwards. If that's the case, I can understand the dealer not wanting to cough up. Maybe do an insurance claim if the chips are MT failures?
Macan S D
718 S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Cost of windscreen is £1200 via Porsche with only the standard cameras installed. More expensive if you get Autoglass to do it!
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Has the car got surround cameras? If so, a replacement screen will cost in the region of £1k as it needs the cameras realigned afterwards. If that's the case, I can understand the dealer not wanting to cough up. Maybe do an insurance claim if the chips are MT failures?

Curious to know how surround cameras affect the windscreen. Aren't there just the four cameras under the exterior mirrors, at the top of the front grille, and above the rear number plate?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi,

I believe it is the lane departure warning, lane keep assist cameras that are affected as these are by the rear view mirror mounting. Hence all Macans have some. However as lane departure warning is next to useless, you could just leave it u calibrated, leaving it only slightly less accurate.
Retired

Post by Retired »

My car's windscreen is being replaced on Monday, damage from flying stone exactly in my eye line.

Work being done by OPC for a very modest £1800.

Car is fitted with LDW, speed camera, LED lights and surround view.

Don't think the surround view has any relation to the windscreen, the cameras are front rear and in the external mirrors. Other features rely on camera(s) attached to the windscreen.

The killer is the need for a four wheel tracking / camera alignment as the the clever PDSL+functions are at least in part integrated with the wheels. Am told by a techy that rear wheels (rotational speed differential?) are used to determine how much the car is turning and hence defect the lights as required.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I am surprised that is so much more than mine cost