Cabin smells after repair

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Pav8

Post by Pav8 »

Hello,
About 2 weeks I damaged my rear left door (Colour- Carrara White). I have attached a photo of the original damage. It required some panel beating and repainting. The garage that I took it to also removed the sideblade.
I have picked up the car and the cabin smells of paint/solvent. I thought this would air out in a week but it hasn't. It causes me headaches. I called the garage and they advised it may be the interior cleaner they used to wipe down the dash etc. and it wouldn't be the paint because they bake and seal it etc.
Also, when they put the sideblade back on, they glued it, and it is not sitting flush.
I don't want to deal with this particular garage anymore as I have had enough. The lesson here is to take it to a reputable Porsche garage and pay a bit extra.
My questions are:
1) Will the paint smell in the cabin gradually reduce till I don't notice it anymore? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process.
2) Is it easy to take the side blade off even if its glued on?
I am seeing Porsche next Tuesday for a PCM update but I wanted to get the forums views first. This is causing me sleepless nights!
Thanks.

IMG_0746 (1).JPG

happy days

Post by happy days »

The paint is usually baked on would be right, however it sounds like you are smelling thinners which are used to dilute the paint and let it flow through the paint gun.

I remember being in a body shop a few years ago and the guy was doing some small touch ups with a small brush inside where the seat buckle had damaged the paint on the inside of the door frame, when he dropped the paint tin. Blimey! Black carpets suddenly became white ones. A flurry of activity ensued with an army of lads wiping everywhere with thinners to clean up the paint. I wonder if something similar happened to your car?

Leave the windows rolled down as much as you can to let the air clear, but it will go away.

The side blades are usually stuck on again with double sided tape.
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not uncommon to get residual solvent smells after a repair; the car sits in the bodyshop for x days and will pick up some odours.

The side blade will be held on with clips - if they've used glue or even tape then they need a good talking to.

The smell gradually go over a period of time. Parking with the windows / roof open (if practical) will obviously help as will driving with the roof a rear windows open. You can also get air conditioning " bombs" which can help freshen up the interior....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamber-Air-Con ... oning+bomb ....there are many others........
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had similar problems a couple of years ago when the Audi had to have a damaged rear door repaired.

It took over two weeks for the smell of paint solvent to dissipate.

I am OCD about the cabin and use of cleaning products because I have allergies, in particular for me its Autoglym interior products, they give me itchy and watery eyes, a blocked nose and mild headaches. When I picked up the Audi new they had given it that terrible Lifeshine internal and external, it was foc and they just did it without asking. Almost immediately I started suffering and only long periods of driving with the windows opened helped in clearing the internal residual Autoglym products. It may be that their use of similar products is affecting you.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags