Crack in Plastic of B-pillar

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

Whilst washing my Sep 2015 SD today I noticed a vertical crack in the external plastic of the B-pillar, specifically the trim piece just behind the driver's door window. At first I thought I'd scratched the plastic whilst cleaning, but on pressing there is a little 'give' hence the trim piece is definitely cracked.

I can't find anything similar on this forum, but there are a few reports on the US forum where the trim was then replaced under warranty. My warranty expires at the end of this month, but it's booked in for the warranty extension inspection in a couple of weeks so I'll get it looked at then.

Here's a picture with the crack circled in red - anyone else experienced similar?

IMG_2107 (2).jpg

Paul

Post by Paul »

Not that I’ve noticed (but guess what I’ll be doing first thing in the morning!😂)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Not seen the problem myself.

Like you I did see it posted on the USA forum a while back and have since kept a watching eye on the trim on my car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

No one else with the same problem then? But there's not many of you out there with Macan's that are as old as mine, and I think that the part was probably modified for later production. I have just carried out a detailed search of the other external trim pieces and it's only the drivers window piece that has failed.

Nevertheless, I'll let you know how I get on when I mention it to the dealer in a couple of week's time.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi Guy

My Macan is a few months older than yours (July 2015) and, so far, I have not seen any signs of that problem. I hope I'm not tempting fate with this response. :D
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks Peter!

In the unlikely event that they don't cover it under warranty, I'll replace it myself according to this handy guide:

Guy

Post by Guy »

I extended my warranty today (see here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7464&start=10) and also pointed out the crack in the plastic. Porsche Wolverhampton have agreed to replace the part as a 'goodwill gesture' rather than a warranty claim (probably less paperwork for them!) and will give me a call when the part has arrived. Will then book it in and hopefully enjoy another loaner for a few hours … :D
Guy

Post by Guy »

I had the plastic B-pillar trim replaced yesterday by Porsche Wolverhampton. Despite the video showing replacement in less than 5 minutes, they had my car for the day so I had this as a loaner:

IMG_2207.JPG

It was quite nice to drive for the day, and certainly felt smaller on the road than it looks. However, I really didn't like the centre console/screen - a triumph of fashion over function! :(