Outer sill protectors

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
SMC

Post by SMC »

I wondered how many of you have tried to protect this area which is simply left painted ?
Is it worth trying to protect this area ?
If you have protected it what have you used ?
I've been looking on line as Porsche don't manufacture anything, which would no doubt be prohibitively expensive. But cannot find anything suitable. I have even contacted a few companies that manufacture carbon fibre products, but the answer is always no they wouldn't make these.

Any ideas ?
Current - 2018 GTS Carrera White
Gone - 2015 SD White

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Apply some self healing PPF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yep, I've used some PPF on the sills. Can be removed or replaced when required and is pretty unobtrusive.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Needs a bit of care when applying.....many other offerings out there too....but PPF is a good suggestion (look carefully at the leading edge of the rear wheel arch - Porsche have already done that bit for you!)

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rennwagen

Post by Rennwagen »

Paul wrote:Needs a bit of care when applying.....many other offerings out there too....but PPF is a good suggestion (look carefully at the leading edge of the rear wheel arch - Porsche have already done that bit for you!)

I found some here in the USA very similar to this by Xpel. Relatively easy to put on and cheap—$30 for 5 feet, iirc.

After 3 years my previous ‘15 Turbo had ALOT of scratches here so my new car got PPF from day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Macan Turbo/PP in PTS Malachite Green to be completed 6/1/18
2015 Macan Turbo in Sapphire Blue delivered 2/28/15
SMC

Post by SMC »

Thanks for the responses gents, I've now contacted a couple of companies to see if I can have these made from carbon fibre. I thought this might look a bit better and provide a bit more protection. It will also go well as I have the carbon side blades.
Gone - 2015 SD White
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

How hard is it to fit the PPF?
SMC

Post by SMC »

I believe the PPF is straightforward to fit, there are a number of online videos. For myself I would just like something a little different, that not everyone else has. If I get any positive responses I will post the details here as others may like the look of this option.
Gone - 2015 SD White
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

MCDK wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 am How hard is it to fit the PPF?
The local guy that eventually did the front of the 911 did the rear bumper on my Macan. It was a special so no template to cut as a bonet or front bumper would be and still £60 or so which I thought wasn't to bad at all.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

I paid to have self-healing Paint Protection Film applied to the front of the car (bonnet, wings etc) but also to the bottom of the front doors and the rear bumper. It was cut to a standard template. It was clear film and unobtrusive. Once fitted, you have to be careful that some over-enthusiastic Polish car washer doesn't blast it full on and close up with his pressure washer because, in those circumstances, it will start to come off! With my low power, domestic pressure washer, I never felt that this was a danger.

I also had the rest of the car GTechniq'd and it cost, in total, a little under £2k.