Horrendously excessive internal condensation

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Pivot wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 pm Alternatively, switch on ‘windshield demystifier’, it should kick in A/C, heater & blower on high, directed at your windshield.

I did this with the result of the dashboard looking like id thrown a cup of water of it :lol: i had to use a towel to mop it up
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Then you might need a snorkel and flippers [emoji12] apologies!

On a serious note, aren’t your air exit vents blocked?

Given that AC is blowing dry air, I would be driving with A/C + heater and a window cracked open to get the humidity blown out.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

My McCann is pretty condensation free. Only minimal amount which I suspect only comes after I start breathing. Unlike the Golf R which had a lot of condensation on windscreen after only a fairly short park up. Like an hour or so.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I find that it happens a lot when we have such fluctuations in outside temperatures. 12 degrees one day and 5 degrees the next. Only the other day, I parked up at my train station at 6 am on a mild morning, only to come back at 7 pm the same day on a very cold evening and the inside of the windscreen was wet. If you then get freezing temperatures overnight the inside of the windscreen freezes, when the car is parked up for several days.

I would also check your carpets for wetness, as suggested above. I discovered a pool of water on my rubber mats last week when we had that torrential rain & wind. Perhaps open the sunroof, and check if the wind deflector is wet. I dried the wind deflector with a hairdryer and poked the two front channel outlets with a small round brush and the leak has not happened since so far. Open the sunroof completely and then hold the close button until the sunroof closes completely to make sure it's tightly shut.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Years ago I had a car with such a lot of condensation that on cold days I had a layer of ice on the inside of the windscreen. Never figured out what problem was but suspect it was linked to sunroof. I wonder if the Macan owners who suffer this problem the worse are sunroof owners.

PS. Hate the fact that max demist throws out non-negotiable hot air. On those muggy days in the summer this function was not my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

I suffer this problem too with the Macan and the 997. Haven’t been able to identify any leaks, OPC has looked at the 997 but not found any issues. Solution? Bought 6 bags of silica gel and put 3 in each car. Seems to have done the trick.....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry to dissapoint (😊) but my 2 yr old GTS with sunroof, used 5 ish days a week (including freezing rain in Reims on Saturday night!) has never exhibited any of the above.
BUT I do leave it on “auto” all the time; just tweak the temps up and down.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

No excessive internal condensation in mine either ....... with sunroof. I don't use A/C or auto very often but do try to keep inside dry - no wet pets or wet people. :D
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Well, after a couple of days use i got fed up of the windscreen being dripping wet and the sunroof being pretty much the same short of providing me with a drench shower typr scenario.
The carpets are dry but for my wet footprints :)

I’ve basically mopped all the windows cleaned the and dried them. After a 30 minute drive to a local shopping centre it sat for and hour and all the glass was condensated and took a couple of minutes to blow clear. :roll:

I shall see what tomorrow brings when i do the school run.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

r1flyguy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm Well, after a couple of days use i got fed up of the windscreen being dripping wet and the sunroof being pretty much the same short of providing me with a drench shower typr scenario.
The carpets are dry but for my wet footprints :)

I’ve basically mopped all the windows cleaned the and dried them. After a 30 minute drive to a local shopping centre it sat for and hour and all the glass was condensated and took a couple of minutes to blow clear. :roll:

I shall see what tomorrow brings when i do the school run.
I posted this back in January when others were having misting problems:
'Re the screen misting up, in this and other threads recently - if the interior of the car is dry and the ventilation system is set to A/C on, set to Auto distribution and temperature 20 to 22 degrees, and the glass is squeaky clean there shouldn't be a problem with misting up. If it does, where is the moisture coming from? Are the windows cracked open while someone smokes, are the carpets wet somehow, have wet coats been worn in the car, do you carry large wet dogs and are their rugs wet, has the pano roof been left open, are all the air vents fully open? Also check the PCM air con settings (Vehicle/Settings/Air conditioning/Air flow set to at least medium. Also, under Air conditioning, is the Auto air circ. box ticked?

If you have memory function, check that all drivers' keys have the same stored information for the air con settings
.'

Given the soaking your interior has suffered from the freeze up it may be that you'll need a drive of at least an hour with the temperature up as high as you can stand it.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA