Horrendously excessive internal condensation

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

UPDATE :

So the condensation came back with a vengeance and to see faffing about I took it to my local OPC.

As always they garage manager was very accommodating and grabbed one of the staff from the servicing who duly carried out a quick inspection.

Findings
The carpet behind the drivers seat where no one ever sits was sodden :shock: (as mentioned by a few of you gents to check)
He then looked under the boot lid at the lowest point, which was dry
He then removed the offside 'side' cover from within the boot area and found it was wet in there also.

End result being that its booked in for later this month to be dried out and investigated with initial thoughts being a blocked drain (I hope not as this will be environmental (leaves, debris) and costly or a mechanical failure and hopefully covered by warranty.

At the moment its sat on the drive with all the windows open slightly and rear carpet removed.

I also opened the Pan roof to see if i could physically see any debris in the rails or sign of sitting water but they were quite clean.

The wind shield however showed clear evidence of the amount of water in there and freezing up in the current weather conditions the other side was clean...

ImageMacan water leak issues by Gary ORourke, on Flickr
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

The front drains on the pano roof are easily visible in the corners and drain near the bottom from the front wing. The rear drains cannot be seen, they are at the corners of the rear panel and drain just behind the rear wheel arch liners. To clean them out you need to remove the rear wheel arch liners and insert something upwards. It sounds like one of your rear drains is blocked.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I am on my third Macan since 2014 and never had any damp or condensation issues. My car is not garaged and I live high up in the Pennines where we get a lot of rain !
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Perhaps a regular wipe of the sunroof rubber seals and a poke in the drains eliminates any offending debris entering the system?
I seem to have solved my car's water ingress that way. But it was the front driver's rubber mat that was holding a puddle plus the wind deflector sat in water. So a much easier access, I suppose. Hair dryer did the trick with fast drying the deflector and channels, plus blew the cobwebs / debris out.

You only need a pine needle or a smaller debris wedged in the seal and the sunroof ceases to be water tight. I don't think that the little drains are designed to work with a stream of water. :(
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

The OPC workshop manager has stated that a previous customer had a similar issue and that paticular vehicle was parked under a large tree and the debris from this is what they state was found to be the cause of the blockages.

My Macan has only had the roof open a couple of times and theres no overhanging tree where its parked so its either a failure of something or im just unlucky, again :roll:

It seems its yet another issue im suffering with my Macan ownership to date.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Semerka wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:39 pm Perhaps a regular wipe of the sunroof rubber seals and a poke in the drains eliminates any offending debris entering the system?
I seem to have solved my car's water ingress that way. But it was the front driver's rubber mat that was holding a puddle plus the wind deflector sat in water. So a much easier access, I suppose. Hair dryer did the trick with fast drying the deflector and channels, plus blew the cobwebs / debris out.

You only need a pine needle or a smaller debris wedged in the seal and the sunroof ceases to be water tight. I don't think that the little drains are designed to work with a stream of water. :(
I get this but on a premium brand, should we ‘really’ be having to do this??????

Ive had a quick look in the owners hand book and can’t find a reference for this either? Seems a crazy but easy money maker for OPC’s to unblock drain holes. Never had a similar issue with any other car I’ve owned :roll:

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm The front drains on the pano roof are easily visible in the corners and drain near the bottom from the front wing. The rear drains cannot be seen, they are at the corners of the rear panel and drain just behind the rear wheel arch liners. To clean them out you need to remove the rear wheel arch liners and insert something upwards. It sounds like one of your rear drains is blocked.
Thanks for the headsup, just had a quick look while the roof is open and I can see the front drain holes with no water residue and they look dry.
Im guessing given water found in the rear passenger footwell and rear boot you are correct.

Lets see what the findings are when its booked in.

In the meantime i might park up the opposite way around to see if the water to the front drain holes due to the ‘very slight’ incline of the driveway.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

r1flyguy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:44 pm
Semerka wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:39 pm Perhaps a regular wipe of the sunroof rubber seals and a poke in the drains eliminates any offending debris entering the system?

I get this but on a premium brand, should we ‘really’ be having to do this??????

Ive had a quick look in the owners hand book and can’t find a reference for this either? Seems a crazy but easy money maker for OPC’s to unblock drain holes. Never had a similar issue with any other car I’ve owned :roll:
Perhaps it's because it's such a large opening, not just tilted, half-roof window. Too complicated for it's own good. :roll:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

If you look at the roof, the rear section has rubber seals each side which are soft to allow the supports for the front section to slide back. So even if you don’t open the roof it is easy for debris to get in there. I had a quick look with a borescope today and don’t see any debris in mine but will be doing a clean in the next week or so.

My OPC did suggest cleaning the drains at the previous service but they wanted £170 and I would rather do it myself.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:18 pm If you look at the roof, the rear section has rubber seals each side which are soft to allow the supports for the front section to slide back. So even if you don’t open the roof it is easy for debris to get in there. I had a quick look with a borescope today and don’t see any debris in mine but will be doing a clean in the next week or so.

My OPC did suggest cleaning the drains at the previous service but they wanted £170 and I would rather do it myself.
Cheers for that.
Do you have a link to said borascope should i wish to invest in such an item to save time and money in the future as at present and until they announce the Macan Turbo GenII :D I have no intention of upgrading for the foreseeable future as i still love driving it.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD