Horrendously excessive internal condensation

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

That amount of water inside the car, just doesn't seem normal. I have kept mine unused for two/three months over the winter period. Must admit it has no pano, and it's under a car port. But have not suffered any, and I mean any, excess water or condensation problems, when started up and run.
As an ex maniac, ahem, I mean mechanic. It sounds like there is too much water from somewhere, which causes the problem.
If trying to crank the heater up to dry it out, maybe having the windows open to some extent, may help to let the damp water out.
Just a thought.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

One or two have suggested opening the windows to let moisture out. This shouldn't be necessary while driving, and indeed may let more moisture in. The car's ventilation system should allow sufficient airflow through it to expel moist air while driving. If you were trying to dry it out by running the engine with the heater cranked up and the car stationary then I would agree that having the windows slightly open would help.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Nick,
I was refering to cranking the heater up, on high. And having it remain so for some time, which would be too hot while driving. Then opening the windows only half way or less. So the heat is not lost, but it would allow the moist air to expell. The amount of water mentioned sounds like there is ingress of water from somewhere.
Frank
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Well, having mopped up this...

ImageMacan drencher by Gary ORourke, on Flickr

And having used the car for last couple of days and couple hundred miles im just getting the usual light condensation on the screens the clears quickly once the blower is on.

Seems getting rid of the excessive moisture has cured the issue for the moment. Lets see what happens when im next back from work.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

That is bad. I suspect there must have been actual water introduced into the cabin for that to happen.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I find it essential to run with aircon all the time in conditions when condensation is present and I can live with that, depite never having had the problem in any other vehicle. On the rare occasions my car is left outside I do tend to get condensation inside the headlight clusters - does anyone else get this? It does of course need the right/ wrong conditions ie damp or after rain. Can’t see that this can be acceptable and will be reporting to tbe OPC.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My headlamps (LED) are always misted up - perfectly normal and clears quickly when you turn them on (both LED abd Xenons have a vent hole in the unit)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

And those apparently few of us who have read the manual will know that this headlamp condensation can be expected under certain conditions and is normal.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Doesn’t your Macan have Auto Temp Control? I set it to 22 Celsius and the A/C keeps it dry and the heater keeps it warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Pivot wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm Doesn’t your Macan have Auto Temp Control? I set it to 22 Celsius and the A/C keeps it dry and the heater keeps it warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It does, i set it to 21 which im happy with. So far the last couple of days have been water free and light interior condensation.

I’m ‘assuming’ some of the comments of it last being used and water from clothing/shoes was left to create a lot of condensation after cooling down and then froze during the cold snaps and thats what ive come back too
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D