Wheel centre cap corrosion

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I know this is a very common problem and I’ve finallly got around to getting mine replaced under warranty.

I’m told today you only get to have them replaced once under warranty.

I asked if they’re designed better now.
“I’d hope so,” she said.

So I wonder if anyone buying a car in the last 6 months to a year, if they’ve had trouble with them?

“You’re washing them wrong” comments not needed. If that was true it wouldn’t be an admitted fault and warranty issue.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Porsche admitting they’re faulty, but saying you can only get them replaced once, seems somewhat illogical?

Thankfully they don’t (yet) take that view on transfer boxes or water pumps etc...

Planning on washing my car later, so will check the wheel centre caps on my winter wheels, which have only been on the car for a couple of months... (I assume wheel centre caps on 911s are similar to Macan version.)

P.S. Am sure that some folks on here have had their corroded wheel centre caps replaced more than once. :?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Thanks WingCo.

This is mine before going in. Not as bad as some I've seen.

IMG_3902.JPG

Hardworkaardvark

Post by Hardworkaardvark »

Hi Goron

I have a Nov 2015 with the 21” turbo wheels pictured. I had my caps replaced twice. I don’t think that they are any better. You can tell tell if they have been changed if the new ones have two tiny holes in the cap.

I think that mine are already starting to go again. Looks like I’ll have to spend another £118 on another set.

Stick to your guns at the dealer.

😁
Aldo
Ald.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

When my car was in, it turned out they only had 3 wheel centres, so wouldn't change them under warranty until they had a full set.
So still waiting - will report when done.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Already two sets replaced under warranty on mine plus exhausts once. Still no better than the originals.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Guy

Post by Guy »

I'm on my original set from Sep 2015, with no signs of corrosion (and they've had all manner of chemicals on them!).

Strange that newer ones should deteriorate so quickly.

EDIT: Although on occasion I have sprayed the wheels with some of this:

Although last time I used it it covered the wheels with white deposits that took a while to clean off!
TD444

Post by TD444 »

Same for me, on set 2 or 3 now and this set is also gone, will need another set...

They may ask how or what you clean it with, some places use too strong chemicals, I know I don’t and it still happens , other is that water is just getting in causing it, I asked the last time to rub some silicone around the edge to prevent the water it I don’t believe they did....

I also heard the knock off ones on eBay are better quality but would need someone to confirm that...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Mine are just over 2 years old and look perfect like new.
I do wash my own car and I only use ph neutral products. I also do not jet wash the centre cap limiting the amount of water that can then sit behind it.

I think the problem is the water can sit behind the cap (design flaw imo) and then causes the issue over time.

Mine are also coated in Gtechniq which helps I am sure but I feel my above methods are the reasons mine look like new still.

I know of others purchasing off eBay (around £20) and are perfectly happy.
GTS 😀
Caster

Post by Caster »

No probs with the ones on eBay - think paid £14 for them + still looking good after just over 2 years/23,000 miles 👍
PS....last time I checked - didn't see any for sale on eBay, hope now back on.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D