Chipsaway

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
VanB

Post by VanB »

I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience of using Chipsaway for minor repairs? A while ago a hexagonal nut was thrown up in front of me on the motorway and struck my bumper just to the right of the driver's headlight creating a full depth chip. Also picked up similar on my rear, offside wheel arch from some plonker in a car park. Having, in the past, had the Macan in a full bodyshop to repair similar and having sold a kidney to pay the bill the quote from Chipsaway seemed reasonable.

They offered to repair the full depth chips, a scuffed rear alloy (will be booking high sided vehicle berth in future on Eurotunnel) and correct all other minor imperfections (i.e. chips less than full depth) for £300.

I've read very positive things about them but does anyone here have any direct experience and was it good, bad or ugly?

Many thanks for anyone's thoughts.

Cheers

VanB
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Is this, I suspect, like other smart repairers, where it depends more on the individual than on the franchise/brand? :geek:

Will be looking to research repairers for the gouge in my rear bumper in the spring...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:03 pm Is this, I suspect, like other smart repairers, where it depends more on the individual than on the franchise/brand? :geek:

Will be looking to research repairers for the gouge in my rear bumper in the spring...
I believes so. My local franchisee has unanimously positive reports but I obviously wanted the forum's thoughts before booking the car in. I've also heard that bodyshops often outsource minor repairs to the likes of Chipsaway and then charge a fully loaded price for the repair. No idea if true or not but it would make sense in the same way that windscreen replacements at an OPC are often carried out by Autoglass.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Agreed, you need to look at reviews of your specific franchisee. They can be very good, through to not so good.

Where are you VanB?
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
VanB

Post by VanB »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm Agreed, you need to look at reviews of your specific franchisee. They can be very good, through to not so good.

Where are you VanB?
Near Reading, Charles.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:47 pm
I've read very positive things about them but does anyone here have any direct experience and was it good, bad or ugly?

Cheers

VanB
I had a three stone chips, one quite deep, repaired in the n/sf 'bumper'. Two guys came to my house and spent 3 hours methodically doing the repair. Fabulous match to the Rhodium Silver paint work and only charged £120.

Asked my 911 owning perfectionist son to find where they'd done the job and he couldn't! :D

I used Ian Lawrence 07478 000939 ChipsAway Shaftesbury ian.lawrence@chipsaway.co.uk. A mature person who went above and beyond in my opinion.

I had also incurred a very small stone chip to the bonnet, but he said he would not attempt to repair as the only way to get a perfect finish was for a body shop to repspray the whole bonnet. Very good and honest I felt.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
VanB

Post by VanB »

Thank you, SAC1 - seems to tally with what I've heard. That is incredibly reasonable too
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm Thank you, SAC1 - seems to tally with what I've heard. That is incredibly reasonable too
This was their estimate sheet for the job:

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm
VanB wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm Thank you, SAC1 - seems to tally with what I've heard. That is incredibly reasonable too
This was their estimate sheet for the job:

Capture.PNG
I will definitely be giving this guy a call! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:26 pm
VanB wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Cheers

VanB
I had a three stone chips, one quite deep, repaired in the n/sf 'bumper'. Two guys came to my house and spent 3 hours methodically doing the repair. Fabulous match to the Rhodium Silver paint work and only charged £120.

Asked my 911 owning perfectionist son to find where they'd done the job and he couldn't! :D

I used Ian Lawrence 07478 000939 ChipsAway Shaftesbury ian.lawrence@chipsaway.co.uk. A mature person who went above and beyond in my opinion.

I had also incurred a very small stone chip to the bonnet, but he said he would not attempt to repair as the only way to get a perfect finish was for a body shop to repspray the whole bonnet. Very good and honest I felt.
Thank you SAC1 have emailed Ian but, as a franchise, he may not be able to deal with me. Appreciate the referral, however.