'Waterless' car wash

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

During the heat wave last Summer. our water company were warning of hosepipe bans. I went and bought some Chemical Guys waterless wash and wax days before the water company changed their minds :roll: Now that it's too cold to reel out the hose and pressure washer I thought I'd give it a go on my Wife's Polo which was in a right state. I was impressed how easy it was to use and the resulting paintwork looks pretty good. Knackered three microfibre cloths though.

Anyone else tried a waterless wash?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

VanB

Post by VanB »

I wouldn't dream of using it. You cannot help but scratch the paintwork dragging all the filth across it - microfibre cloth or not.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

VanB wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm I wouldn't dream of using it. You cannot help but scratch the paintwork dragging all the filth across it - microfibre cloth or not.
Agreed. A Snake Oil Salesman sold me some about 25 years ago. I might still have it.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

You aren't going to be happy when you see the Polo on the next sunny day :o
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

I use Optimum No Rinse a few times now as there is no hose pipe at the allocated car space.

It seems to work as advertised. It lubricates well and the theory is that grits and dirts are surrounded by polymer added by the ONR so it will not leave scratches while the microfibre takes them off the paintwork. As long as you keep turning and changing to clean microfibre, I see it as a good alternative.

Other concentrations of the ONR make it a good clay bar lubricant, quick detailer or bird crap remover.

Recently used it to wash the Macan and finish with Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer with great result.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
cheekyMacan

Post by cheekyMacan »

VanB wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:18 pm I wouldn't dream of using it. You cannot help but scratch the paintwork dragging all the filth across it - microfibre cloth or not.
Absolutely avoid like the plague if you genuinely care for your vehicle paintwork.

If you ever have it detailed at a later date get the person carrying out the paint correction to show you the before and after pics.

Obviously up to you.....

Chris
http://www.porsche-code.com/PKSGFNH9
Loving my 2L Turbo Macan with Sports Chrono, 18-way Seats, Wonderful Display Screen, 20" Turbo Alloys, PASM, PS+, Sports Exhaust, Pano-Roof, LED Headlights. Ignore the haters, this is a SUPERB car :D :D :D
Col M

Post by Col M »

Closest I get is using Optimum No Rinse

Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
macanapb

Post by macanapb »

I went to my local gas station, paid £2 to remove the excess dirt for 5 minutes with water + shampoo theb used Wash Doctors, booked my appointment through the App...Guy came on his bike and detailed the car without water - did a very good job...No swirl marks or light scratches.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Far from waterless, I am more like a drowned rat.

Washed the Macan for the first time since before Christmas.

So to say its been in a bit of a state is pulling the punches.

Weeks of bad weather, coupled with health issues mean I just have not been able to wash the old black van.

Two hours later, thoroughly soaked through with cramp in calves due to all the bending and stretching, a hip that feels like I have been tacked by the whole of the England RU team I look at the car and think........

Damn, I will have to clean it again at the weekend after a couple of trips out in the cr4p weather that is coming our way.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I am a dedicated two buckets, foam wash, rinse with filtered water and let the air dry the paintwork bloke. I also use a DA once a year to keep things tickety boo paint work wise. I'm sorry to disappoint the naysayers on here but the Polo shows no additional swirl marks (probably because I went in straight lines) . As the good Colonel says, the weather has been awful and the rear of my SD was so dirty I had to clean it. I used the Chemical Guys stuff again and hey presto, it worked a treat especially on the black tailpipes. Again, no scratches or blotches.

I wouldn't use it regularly mainly because it costs too much for that, but as a one off, no problem.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.